Places to ride in the south east

cyberdyne_systems

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
Surrey
I thought I'd ask where people recommend riding, I'm right near the south downs as I type this near Hassocks, and wonder where is best to ride along it? I guess I'm talking tracks/paths as opposed to full off road.

Any recommendations/experiences/travel and parking/pictures are welcome.

Let's hear (see) what you got...

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I work at Keymer pretty much every Wednesday, and try when time permits, to pop out from either there or Ditchling for an after work ride. The South Downs offers a brilliant range of terrain, all of which your bike could easily cope with.

Just three warnings though.

First... The bridleways away from the SD way offer more varied and interesting riding, but many are currently very overgrown with brambles and nettles.

Second... The chalk and flint sections can destroy tyres very quickly, and certainly cause punctures. This is made worse when conditions are wet. I've had one ride that destroyed three tubes completely beyond repair, back front and the spare. I've also had a major cut that destroyed a tyre when running tubeless as well.

Third warning... At this time of year, make sure that you wear sun block/cream, and also take plenty of water.

I don't record all of my rides on Strava, but you might find a few on here that cover that area. Example of most recent. https://www.strava.com/activities/613351528

If you transport your bike by car, I personally think that Alfriston is a good starting point for rides on the SD. It's my preferred area of the Downs, and lovely rides can be had in either direction, with good opportunity for refreshment stops. :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/569607713

Friston forests also offers some very interesting ride routes.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
To be honest near the downs there aren't any specific routes to use of any real distance that goes A2B you really have to go on to the SD, If you plan some routes you can link up various bits of tracks , BW's etc to ride however they can be very boggy even after no rain for a while then you also have to watch out for thorns from blackberry more so when the hedges and been butchered. I ride the SD usually from DB and J&J down to A27 via Stanmer and Sx Uni and any where over to Findon, not been over to where Eddie rides a lot. As eddie say's flints are the main issue on the downs.I can link up rides for off road South and West of Crawley to take me up to the downs and off to Billingshurst way, even then you are proper off road very little or no sintered track cycle routes.
If you don't mind dull riding then you can ride Worth to Groombridge on the old railway route or do Shoreham to Cranleigh on the Downs link which is the better of the two.
Generally its a case of get the maps out and don't worry about the mud and bog that comes your way, just plough on regardless and enjoy.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Head down to Brighton take the sea front/ costal route east to Seaford or head west to Worthing nearly all on cycle route. Follow the SDW for easy A2B riding nothing seriously off rode, seriously flinty between Fulking and Beeding going west.

• Informative
Reactions: cyberdyne_systems

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Perhaps because of my location, I tend to favour riding as shown below. I'll often link all three sections together, but my interest seems to dwindle when I hit the A23. Pycombe golf course also seems to really do my head. I hate that section, although they have now improved the route by widening and levelling it off.

Last edited:

cyberdyne_systems

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
Surrey
Thanks guys, I was looking at a few Web pages about the SDW and it kinda gets a bit daunting, when there is so much choice ;).

I'll take a look at those routes you've both posted up, particularly that last one. And thanks for the encouragement :)

Related Articles

Advertisers