Possible to convert Front hub motor to rear motor ?

Nellie

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2020
Hi all I’m considering making a Viking tandem recumbent trike from plans at atomic zombies site . I want to do a ebike conversion . Now I have a trek T900 tandem I converted and also an ebco UCR 30 which I use for commuting. Both use the same Tranz x system so I can just swap my battery between the two. Now I have a full set of all components and front hub motor as spares and would like to use them on this Viking recumbent . The design is a tadpole ie two steering front wheels and one rear drive wheel. Now to the crux of the matter will it be possible to adapt or add a seven speed gear cassette to to this front hub motor. It’s the Tranz x M01. Thoughts pls I’m wearing my crash helmet preparing for incoming lol

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi all I’m considering making a Viking tandem recumbent trike from plans at atomic zombies site . I want to do a ebike conversion . Now I have a trek T900 tandem I converted and also an ebco UCR 30 which I use for commuting. Both use the same Tranz x system so I can just swap my battery between the two. Now I have a full set of all components and front hub motor as spares and would like to use them on this Viking recumbent . The design is a tadpole ie two steering front wheels and one rear drive wheel. Now to the crux of the matter will it be possible to adapt or add a seven speed gear cassette to to this front hub motor. It’s the Tranz x M01. Thoughts pls I’m wearing my crash helmet preparing for incoming lol

It is possible to add a freewheel and I've done it and described the process on this web page.

However, that was long ago in 2007 and it wasn't really worth it other than as an exercise to show that could be done. I doubt it's practical to add a cassette core in the same way.

New rear hub motors are relatively cheap and I think that's the best way to go.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
One of these pressed steel hubs is better because you can remove the threaded part without modification. Just drill holes in it. I cut the hub, but you don't need to:

You might have a problem with the axle length. Here's this bafang QSWXK5 with a single speed freewheel on it. i used it for a crank-drive, so I was able to hold that side with a special bracket:

Reactions: WheezyRider

Nellie

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2020
Thx for replies fleck and vfr. With regards to flecc,s suggestion getting a rear hub motor could it be made to work with the tranz x electrics. There are ten wires coming from motor. Three large pins which are the phase wires and seven other thin ones. I don’t know how that relates to wiring of other motors thx neil

Nellie

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2020
You might have a problem with the axle length. Here's this bafang QSWXK5 with a single speed freewheel on it. i used it for a crank-drive, so I was able to hold that side with a special bracket:
Hi vfr400 I’m hoping that when I get the parts that won’t be a problem. After studying the plans further it seems I only have to fit a BMX freehub to the motor. Gear changes are done further up the chain line via a semi independent cross chain mechanism involving another bmx freehub connected to a multi gear freehub quite clever really. Thx all for the advice

Advertisers