power cutting out after 29 seconds

aggie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 2, 2014
I have an Alien Auroa electric bike powered by a 36v 10amp lithium battery which is showing 41.6 volts. When I turn the power on all the red lights come on. I turn the throttle and the motor starts but cuts out after 30 secs. After waiting a few minutes the power lights up again but the same thing happens. The battery voltage remains at 41,6 volts. I have tried the peddle power without the throttle but the motor cuts out after 30 seconds as before. I am at a loss as to what is wrong and would appreciate any help and advice from the members. I have been told that Alien have stopped trading so I am not expecting any help from that quarter. cheers aggie

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
Could be a few things. Does it do this with the wheel held up (i.e. without you on the bike)? Could be the battery sags below the low voltage cutoff of the controller, then it resets and starts over again. that would point to the battery.
Or could be the controller is faulty. Hard to measure but try to measure the battery voltage when it does this 29 second reset.

Reactions: aggie

aggie

Apr 2, 2014
hi Paul, Thanks for getting back to me. I will try what you recommend tomorrow and report back. aggie

D

Deleted member 4366

Be prepared for bad news! Sorry, but I've got a feeling that you'll be needing a new battery.

Reactions: aggie

aggie

Apr 2, 2014
Hi Paul, I have carried out the following experiments. I recharged the battery to 41,6 till the charger turned green. By use of full throttle with no load on the wheel (up on stand) the motor cut out straight away at 38/39 volts. By gentle use of the throttle I managed to keep the motor running but this was intermittent and shut down after a few seconds. I live in Tenbury wells and without a spare battery to try I cannot say for sure whether or not I need a new battery so I am loath to splash out on a new Battery at £350 + until I am sure.
You and D8VEH are possibly right but if I buy a new battery and its not the battery I will not be best pleased, to put it mildly. Cheers aggie

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm also of the opinion that it's almost certainly the battery. The powerful Aurora is quite tough on them and they don't last very long on that model.

aggie

Apr 2, 2014
Hi flec, Its looks as though I have got to bight the bullet and cough up. As anybody any idea's on where to get the best price of a new 36v 10amp Lithium Battery for my Aurora the only one I can find on the net is from Holland Silent-Force.eu at 399euros (£365) including postage. I saw a Silent-Force SF 0103 electric bike on sale at the range for £499 which looks similar to my bike and uses the same type of battery and casing Does anybody know anything about this bikes? cheers aggie

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

The batteryo n the Aurora is a dead standard Chinese battery. IMHO, it was under-specified. The BPM motor you have needs a stronger battery, so don't get a direct replacement. Ideally, you want to chuck that hideous rack as well, but that will involve a bit of DIY to install a new rack and re-mount the controller. Are you able to do something like that?

This one looks very promising. It might fit your present rack, but you still have to wire a connector. can you measure your battery?

http://www.bmsbattery.com/packs/657-36v-10ah-lithium-ion-alloy-shell-ebike-battery-pack.html

aggie

Apr 2, 2014
I am not adverse to a bit of DIY. Is this battery more powerful than the one I have got which seems the same at 36v 10amp? I see its from USA have you or anyone bought from them? thanks for all the info. aggie

D

Deleted member 4366

It's about 5 times more powerful. You can't go by size, voltage and capacity
The key characteristic is the discharge rate.

gerryscott

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2010
I am not adverse to a bit of DIY. Is this battery more powerful than the one I have got which seems the same at 36v 10amp? I see its from USA have you or anyone bought from them? thanks for all the info. aggie
BMS also do a 36v 15ah aluminium case if you scroll down to 3or4,this is the one I will get when my battery is done on my alien auror,don't know if i will have to upgrade contoller.

aggie

Apr 2, 2014
Hi gerryscott, thanks for the info but I had already bitten the bullet and bought the 36v 10amp on advice from d8veh I will just have to wait now to see whether or not I need a new controller and also how to wire in a new connection to measure the battery? any advice would be helpful. Thanks everybody for their help and advice. aggie

D

Deleted member 4366

You won't need a new controller. You'll only need the right connector and maybe some wire, but it does give you the chance to upgrade your controller. The postage won't be any dearer, which makes a controller cheap.

aggie

Apr 2, 2014
That sounds good. I have looked at the controllers on the BMS site can you tell me is the one I want a S12SH 800 watt 35amp torque simulation? This looks like the icing on the cake if I can get it right. Thanks again aggie

D

Deleted member 4366

Does your motor have hall sensors (3 thick wires and 5 thin ones) or not (3 thick wires)?

If it does, the S12S would work. I can't remember if it works sensorless too.

The S09P would be the one if it doesn't work sensorless and you have a sensorless motor.

If you get either of them, you'll need to order the LCD and the speed sensor. It would also be advisable to fit a torque arm.

The KU93 is a cheaper option, but you only get one level of PAS (maximum), so it's a bit crappy if you use PAS. Be aware that if you increase the current, your battery will go down faster.

aggie

Apr 2, 2014
cheers mate its 3 thick wires but fitting a new controller looks a bit complicated so I will stick with the old one and see what happens. I will keep you posted when my battery arrives. aggie

aggie

Apr 2, 2014
Thanks everybody for your good advice especially d8veh. I received my high c rate 36v 10amp battery, charger, and rack for my Alien Auroa. total £256.85. The battery did not fit my original carrier (battery to fat) but the controller was compatable.. Once I had wired the battery to the controller all lights came on and I managed my usual 12 miles with all lights still on. I noted the battery voltage to start was 41.7 which dropped to 39,8 at the end of my journey. So, a good result all round and the fault was the battery as you suggested. Alien have since gone bust so I was lucky. Also, the battery charger is better, quicker and fitted with a fan. Thanks again aggie

Advertisers