Problems derestricting Bosch Smart Motor

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Firstly, lets not get into the rights and wrongs of derestricting.

Ive had my Haibike since 2016 which has been derestricted since then without issue using a speed rs chip. In all those years and thousand of miles only needed a new battery the rest is usual service items. Soundwave, if your listening to this stay with your bike.

Decided to buy another bike Cube all action, very expensive for what it is with similar performance to older bike.

I've tried speedboat 1.0b dongle which worked for about 200 miles then error. I've tried Peartune which error. So I'm now riding bike stock until Volspeed bring out a dongle.

Happy days

Atko

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you could try a bad ass dongle with the speed sensor adaptor but with these motors and gps tracking means all of them could get a 504 error and put in to limp mode.

sell it and get a bafang hd and a 20 quid programming cable :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well if it does work never take it for a firmware update or update the display.

when i got my kiox display it said firmware update needed and put emtb mode on the motor so had to get it done to get rid of that but it was the batts firmware that needed updating.

i then updated the software on the kiox and now it logs every ride and sends the data to the app via my phone when it connects so the fkn thing is tracking me every time i ride it and powerd on which it did not do b4 the update.

i only got the bloody thing so can see the batts % from 0-100 as have no need for all the other crap it tells you but with the gen 4 motors you cant really shove another controller in there as how the motors controller is made and how it connects to the motor.

you can have motor adaptors made so you could use another motor but it depends on the frame and chain line but some mods cant be undone if you go down that road.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
problem is with gps is it is tracked in real time and built in to the displays or will be and when that happens no dongles will work and the way it is going cars will get limited to speeds to make it impossible to brake the speed limit on any roads anywhere in the world.

just buy a horse you can park it anywhere it can shite all over the road and go 40 mph :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

as soon as one that works with no errors then imo he will sell them but the only other option atm is the bad ass dongle but even there limited to 25mph these days.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I'm going to try another option with Peartune. If not Sppedi said they can help but it will be restricted to 25mph, not end of world as I can keep getting updates.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well bosch now seems intent to stop all dongles full stop and with gps tracking thats the way it is looking like the road there going down so if it was me id stay away from any update.

i think there is a smart sclass motor and that will go to 28mph but you dont see them on many bikes as thats what i wanted in 2014 :rolleyes:

peter might be able to get you one for a price and take the one you have in exchange so not have to pay full price but it wont be cheap if he can even get one.

every one i have seen over the years wants a ebike but none want one that cuts out at 15mph so might cost them big time with low sales as the prices now are insane.

i can remeber back when b4 i got my bike you could get a hard tail bosch ebike imported from Germany for about £1200 back then and a cheap full sus was about £2500.

Reactions: Steve A

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
well bosch now seems intent to stop all dongles full stop and with gps tracking thats the way it is looking like the road there going down so if it was me id stay away from any update.

i think there is a smart sclass motor and that will go to 28mph but you dont see them on many bikes as thats what i wanted in 2014 :rolleyes:

peter might be able to get you one for a price and take the one you have in exchange so not have to pay full price but it wont be cheap if he can even get one.

every one i have seen over the years wants a ebike but none want one that cuts out at 15mph so might cost them big time with low sales as the prices now are insane.

i can remeber back when b4 i got my bike you could get a hard tail bosch ebike imported from Germany for about £1200 back then and a cheap full sus was about £2500.
My 2016 Haibike was expensive in 2016, but now there as expensive as Motorbikes, so I think we are getting ripped off. I'm taking with nsl speedi about their mechanical solution, as 25mph is acceptable. I know nothing about the smart class motor so I'll look at that thanks mate

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK

i think there is a smart sclass motor and that will go to 28mph but you dont see them on many bikes as thats what i wanted in 2014 :rolleyes: Any links?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: Steve A

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Jesus H, been off Pedelecs for a while and certainly not been keeping up with EMBN either, but hadn't realised the extent of the big brother reach into restricting E-bikes via GPS and "smart"(hate that doublespeak term) tech.... Looks like I better keep hold of my Gen3 CX at all costs (and I've a second, spare brand new Speedbox 2.0 in the cupboard)... The missus's identical KTM Macina Lycan 271 (as pictured in the avatar) has done 230 dry, easy miles since she got it....(nuff said).... I might see if she wants to sell it to me lol

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
only bikes i would look at new is the ones with the uart Yamaha motors as you can get controllers and parts but with these old bosch bikes the new smart frame batts wont work with the older motors and why i got a new batt last year.

tho i do know a guy that can recell them but if the bms goes open circuit then the bms is toast so it can be done but there is a risk trying it.

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
only bikes i would look at new is the ones with the uart Yamaha motors as you can get controllers and parts but with these old bosch bikes the new smart frame batts wont work with the older motors and why i got a new batt last year.

tho i do know a guy that can recell them but if the bms goes open circuit then the bms is toast so it can be done but there is a risk trying it.
So are you still running the haibike, got a kiox head unit that didn't work, then updated the firmware in the battery and the head unit to match it, and now it's gone full Skynet and is restricted permanently? I really need to catch up on tech, got lazy with the ebike advances... I've never had my bike at a dealers, nobody ever altered firmware or ran diagnostics. Will keep it that way only maintenance is mechanical -full bearings, seals done by Pete Collards firm...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i got a new 0 miles cx motor for my bike from peter and worked fine with the purion display but the kiox batt is in % so know what i got in the tank than 5 bars.

as soon as i put the kiox on the bike it said it wanted a update and said this every time i powerd it on so had too take in to a bosch dealer up the road and pay 30 quid to get rid of it and it did until i tried my other older batt and it came back again so back down the dealers to get that batts firmware updated as the dealers did not have a clue lol.

still have the og badass dongle and can hit near 40 mph with the gearing i have and also put a axs eagle electric mech on it and in the app it says do not use multi shift on a ebike so turned that on and its not fell off yet and i use it with power going from the motor.

only thing a new bike has over mine is the looks and the batt in the down tube but those things can never be recelled as how they put them together.

when they use full on gps tracking no dongles will work same as cars in 15mph zones it wont let you go any faster.

Reactions: Barrio Barranco

Related Articles

Advertisers