Problems,problems.

tleaf100

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 1, 2020
Hi folks, 60 year old one usable leg experienced bike rider.
Has anyone tried to build an e-bike using an electric chainsaw as motive power ?
My big DeWalt battery chainsaw has a 54volt motor, steps up ftom 18volt, I have a carrera e-bike that has suicuded by chain coming off and eating cables and smashing ts off frame and torn wires out of ts too,so have asked for parts list from forum on here for parts buy list to get that one working, but am considering rigging saw somehow so that it could drive my nice but badly worn klien, saw body jammed into frame right behind head stock and use rubber drive chain to drive one of the main chain rings, but all done so that it only takes a few mins to rig up or remove and VERY importantly,leave chainsaw in perfectly usable condition, I'm only 55 kilo, so don't need massively torqued motor and it will only be used for traveling up and down canal towpaths..

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Are you mad ????

tleaf100

Apr 1, 2020
Are you mad ????
I'm only using the body as a motor, instead of it driving a cutting chain round the cutter bar, it can drive a rubber driver belt instead..
Been using chainsaws for the last 48 years, still got all my bits attached, worst I've ever done was catch loose ballistic leggings in chain a few times.
Got both legs, but left knee and hip are buggered, arthritis of some weird type, then had accident at work and did more damage to lower spine, trapped nerve doesn't allow enough blood into left leg either, I've almost lost one toe to infection due to lack of blood supply,,So,left leg us useless and trying to ride anything beyond a gentle slope pulls spine out of line due to only pedaling with right leg,,before accident,I was still doing 150-200 miles a week on the bike,but I could still produce about 50% of original force with left leg,that's now down to about 10% of what I used to be able to do.. Any bike is mostly for use up and down canal towpaths,I don't have to have much to do with "normal" life,just into town every 14 days to pick up my prescriptions,mmy
partner works in supermarket so food shopping no problem.

Reactions: Woosh

tleaf100

Apr 1, 2020
I could always go back to jet powered bike, using massively powerful backpack blower, echo 750cfm,it could power me and bike up pretty steep hill at about 20mph,on nice level new smooth tarmac bike route, it could wind me up to at least 40mph !!!
But was rather loud and uncomfortable to use !!!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If the chain saw were left running sticking out to the right of the bike it might help persuade drivers to keep 1.5m passing distance.

• :D

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
seriously, I doubt that your proposed conversion would work.
Friction drive would lose traction on muddy tracks.

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
Please say I am not the only one to realise the question was asked on April 1st.
Thanks for the laugh tleaf100.

• Agree

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Made me laugh when I got home from my shift last night. Could this be a come back by smart e-Biker?

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
Hi you're chain speed is 7.68m/s = around 27.648 kph so you would need to work out a large gear reduction method so unloaded wheel rotation of around 180-200 rpm. unless you attach a dive thats 90% of the circumference of you're wheel! then the only problem you are left with is the capacity of you're battery 18v 5ah =54v 1.66ah

Last edited:

Andy52

Jul 28, 2019
A petrol chain saw turns the chain at about 70mph at full revs. So there's scope there for a conversion. I'm not sure about electric chainsaws as I've never used one.
Andy

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
A petrol chain saw turns the chain at about 70mph at full revs. So there's scope there for a conversion. I'm not sure about electric chainsaws as I've never used one.
Andy
Is this a leg-pull ?

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi
Welcome

Post a pic up when your done with your chain saw mod .

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
Oddly enough, I was wondering if I could use my pedelec to saw up logs by replacing the rear wheel with a large circular saw blade.

(I still have 2 legs at the moment).