Punctures !!!!

Madbadger

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 31, 2016
Sheffield area
is there such a thing as puncture proof tyres? Just had two thornes in my back tyre, had to use a pair of pilars to get them out!! They are scwallbie tyres (don't think I spelt that correctly) but I can remember a friend fitting some Kevlar strips inside the tyres of his bike some years ago and he never got a puncture. Can anyone suggest a good tyre?

Kev

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• Agree
Reactions: StewC and SRS

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
D

Deleted member 4366

I wouldn't use those strips that go inside the tyres. they cause more punctures than they save.

• Agree
Reactions: RobF

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
+1 for the Marathon Plus tyre.
Over 13'000 miles puncture free so far on mine.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I run 700x35c Maraton Plus Tours and slime tubes. Haven't had to fix a puncture in over 3,500 miles of riding. Money well spent.

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
I also agree with the recommendations for marathon plus tyres. However, a wee word of warning - they are not the best on cornering. A softer side wall and compound gives better grip when turning. YMMV. I like the pluses, and have never had a puncture with them, but have bust my collarbone due to pluses and a patch of diesel on a roundabout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I also agree with the recommendations for marathon plus tyres. However, a wee word of warning - they are not the best on cornering. A softer side wall and compound gives better grip when turning. YMMV. I like the pluses, and have never had a puncture with them, but have bust my collarbone due to pluses and a patch of diesel on a roundabout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have to agree with the cornering traction. The continentals that were on the bike originally were slightly better. They were also much more prone to puncture due to the softer rubber. I got use to it. My boy racer days are far behind me :)

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I've also found Schwalbe Marathons to be the best insurance against punctures too.

I also tried the internal reinforcing strips, but they are tricky to fit without pinching the tube, and they give no protection to the sidewall.

Having said that, the only time I've had a puncture with a Marathon was also in the sidewall, but it was an extreme situation with a very long thorn, as shown in the photo.

Country lanes are now often plagued by tractor mounted hedgecutters, which leave a carpet of short clippings with half inch thorn spikes, which hold them perfectly to pierce the sidewalls. It does also go to show that they've never gone through my Schwalbe treads though.schwalbe killer.jpg

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I've had a thorn go through the tread of a Marathon plus BUT, it was so long it punctured both sides of tube. I only discoverd that as I got the bike out to ride, so I had got home with the thorn in place .

Madbadger

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 31, 2016
Sheffield area
I must admit I did ride off road through a part of woods that's recently been trimmed. Never been through that area before ( nor likely too again! ) I went back in that shed today and tyre was flat again, I missed one of the punctures so that's 3 patches!!!!
What do people think of the sticky patches, the type you don't need glue??

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I must admit I did ride off road through a part of woods that's recently been trimmed. Never been through that area before ( nor likely too again! ) I went back in that shed today and tyre was flat again, I missed one of the punctures so that's 3 patches!!!!
What do people think of the sticky patches, the type you don't need glue??
They work. I have used the Halfords own brand and they are ok

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Lister

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2016
Norfolk
Help!
I have a Mongoose Electric MTB fitted with 26"x4" Juggernaut Sports tubed tyres.
I have only done 60 miles and experienced my first puncture, I ride on farmland trails and tracks.
To mend the puncture I poured in a bottle of Slime and also did the same in the front tyre as insurance.
The puncture was quite severe as soon as I inflated it by compressor , it went down.
The Slime has worked, but in 30 years with a Dawes MTB on narrower rims I never had a puncture.Are there any 26x4 tyres that are less liable to punctures than the Juggernauts?

For interest,we have punctures in large tractor tyres caused by thorns, and a lot of farmers have sealant put into their tyres.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I've tried most tyres, last being smart sams with stans liquid. Still received punctures in between knobbly bits. Went to Marathons mtb plus with stans and so far so good.

Advertisers