Purion mode - emtb

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Hi, Haven't bothered updating my Purion with the emtb mode. I'm happy with current modes eco, tour, sport and turbo. Would it be worth updating software or leave alone?

Thanks

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I used to be very negative about eMTB mode, but that was due to a software glitch in it that meant pulling away on slippery terrain was near on impossible. With it now long sorted, and me becoming more lazy, I use either tour or eMTB mode all of the time.

I should add that I haven't noticed any loss is miles per charge either.

Reactions: ebiker99

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Hi, Haven't bothered updating my Purion with the emtb mode. I'm happy with current modes eco, tour, sport and turbo. Would it be worth updating software or leave alone?

Thanks
Be careful about emtb mode. At present if you go from tour to sport you get a welcome increase in assist, without any increased effort. If you go from tour to emtb you will feel no difference until you put more torque on the cranks.
Emtb is supposed to cover from tour to turbo automatically but it is torque related and even pedalling hard in emtb I still had a boost when going up to turbo. So obviously I couldn’t pedal hard enough to engage turbo. I reverted back to sport after six months of emtb.

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
I've never tried the sport, but am satisfied with emtb. Mind you, I use it for off road with many uphills. Not sure if it would be as useful on paved surfaces

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Thanks for feedback, but it appears there’s no real advantage to updating, so will leave
Be careful about emtb mode. At present if you go from tour to sport you get a welcome increase in assist, without any increased effort. If you go from tour to emtb you will feel no difference until you put more torque on the cranks.
Emtb is supposed to cover from tour to turbo automatically but it is torque related and even pedalling hard in emtb I still had a boost when going up to turbo. So obviously I couldn’t pedal hard enough to engage turbo. I reverted back to sport after six months of emtb.
Yes I read this, a number of people seem to have asked for update to be removed. Stick with what I have, full control of power option myself. Thanks

D

Deleted member 25121

eMTB comes into its own on hilly terrain where it acts a bit like an automatic gearbox on a car and once you get used to it it's great.
If you ride mostly on the flat you're probably best not to update.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
eMTB comes into its own on hilly terrain where it acts a bit like an automatic gearbox on a car and once you get used to it it's great.
If you ride mostly on the flat you're probably best not to update.
On the contrary, I think that emtb looses out on hilly terrain. For the reasons I stated above, if you ate pedalling in tour mode up hill and want more assistance without more effort then you will not get it with emtb. Flicking from tour to emtb makes no difference whatsoever unless you apply more torque to the pedals.
Emtb becomes more useful on steep switchback uphills in MTB parks, of which I have done a lot, as it means that you don’t have to keep changing modes but this amounts to a small percentage of my riding.

D

Deleted member 25121

Emtb becomes more useful on steep switchback uphills in MTB parks, of which I have done a lot, as it means that you don’t have to keep changing modes but this amounts to a small percentage of my riding.
As I said, eMTB comes into its own on hilly terrain ie terrain with ups and downs.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
As I said, eMTB comes into its own on hilly terrain ie terrain with ups and downs.
But obviously on a very limited type of hilly terrain. You seem to be suggesting that emtb is better on all hills. It does indeed “come into its own” on hills were you are constantly switching modes but “it’s own” is far inferior to sport mode. It is also of no use at all on the downs.

D

Deleted member 25121

But obviously on a very limited type of hilly terrain. You seem to be suggesting that emtb is better on all hills. It does indeed “come into its own” on hills were you are constantly switching modes but “it’s own” is far inferior to sport mode. It is also of no use at all on the downs.
As I said, eMTB comes into its own on terrain with ups and downs, which tends to be the case in hilly areas.

Reactions: EddiePJ

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
As I said, eMTB comes into its own on terrain with ups and downs, which tends to be the case in hilly areas.
You’re beginning to repeat yourself but it is still wrong. May I ask if you have a Bosch motor with a Purion display?

D

Deleted member 25121

It sounds as though you have a thorough understanding of the correct use of cadence and gearing, which of course is the way to get optimum usage from the mode.
I found it took a few long rides to get used to the eMTB mode but once I had the feeling for it I liked it. I find it to be more sensitive to torque than cadence and its nice to be able to push a little harder on the pedals, just for a couple of rotations, in order to get a spurt out of the motor. Its similar to the way you can dab the accelerator on some modern automatic gearbox cars to get it to change down.

Some people like it and others don't but it's pointless trying to argue about it, as some seem to want to do. It's like trying to argue about whether marmalade is better than Marmite.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh and EddiePJ

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Some people like it and others don't but it's pointless trying to argue about it, as some seem to want to do. It's like trying to argue about whether marmalade is better than Marmite.
I agree that it is pointless arguing about the subject but no one on this thread has yet argued only expressed their opinions which you have participated in.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
It sounds as though you have a thorough understanding of the correct use of cadence and gearing, which of course is the way to get optimum usage from the mode.
Can you explain what effect cadence and gearing has on emtb mode?

D

Deleted member 25121

I agree that it is pointless arguing about the subject but no one on this thread has yet argued only expressed their opinions which you have participated in.
In that case, why have you repeatedly questioned my opinion? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Related Articles

Advertisers