Purion mode - emtb

maker

Just Joined
Feb 16, 2020
Never had Sports mode but on EMTB I notice the degree of assist you get depends on what gear you choose for a specific speed going up hill. The Bosch tool that estimates battery usage implies a cadence is most efficient

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I'm curious about the above statement. What are you riding down that requires an assist level of say between 210%-300% and how fast are you traveling?

Also out of interest, what level of cadence do you ride at?

I was implying that on any downhill emtb would be of no use as it wouldn’t even kick in. I wasn’t trying to say that I needed it going downhill. So it can only come into its own on the ups.
If I can just say that I’m not rubbishing emtb, just that it’s a retrograde step for my kind of riding. When my legs get tired I can switch to sport and get an immediate boost of whatever percentage without putting in any more effort. With emtb this didn’t happen unless I put more effort (torque) in As emtb is only torque related.
As an aside, I once tested emtb by pedalling up a 1:4 hill in a medium gear putting as much weight on the pedals as I could without bending the handlebars, than switching to turbo to find that I got an immediate boost. This showed me that emtb wasn’t quite giving the full 300%. This was tentatively confirmed by the man on the Bosch stand at the cycle show.
People at various bike parks have told me that they like emtb mainly because they don’t have to worry about changing modes on steep and rocky terrain.
As emtb is based on torque sensing, I couldn’t see where cadence had any relevance. If I changed gear whilst in emtb mode to gain more cadence then I would get less assist from emtb but obviously I would get more assistance by having a lower gear.
To answer you last question re. my cadence, I have absolutely no idea but it is fairly constant on the flat and hills.
Sorry to ramble on but would just like to say that all of the above is only my opinion but it is based on six months use of emtb.

Reactions: EddiePJ

njkinghorn

Just Joined
Mar 10, 2020
Hi, Haven't bothered updating my Purion with the emtb mode. I'm happy with current modes eco, tour, sport and turbo. Would it be worth updating software or leave alone?

Thanks
Please can you advise how to enable eMTB mode? I’m purchasing a Cube 2020 Acid Allroad later today but it does not seem to have eMTB mode activated. I have checked with Cube EU and they have advised that the 2020 Acid models got the new Performance Line so they have the eMTB Mode.

TIA.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Please can you advise how to enable eMTB mode? I’m purchasing a Cube 2020 Acid Allroad later today but it does not seem to have eMTB mode activated. I have checked with Cube EU and they have advised that the 2020 Acid models got the new Performance Line so they have the eMTB Mode.

TIA.
the dealer will need to activate it with there bosch diagnostic software.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

Related Articles

Advertisers