Quick Intro

Hucknallred

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 5, 2019
Hi
Found this site from a post on a completely unrelated site & decided to explore some electric options...

Always been a leisure cyclist doing an occasional 8 mile cycle to work & back. However as I get into my mid 50s I can't hack it as much as I used to but would really like to beat the traffic in a commute & do more leisure cycling.

I'm currently exploring all options, but leaning towards a conversion of my existing Halfords "13" Hybrid. This is a decent bike & wouldn't yield much if I sold it. In my very early working life in the 1980s I was an assembler at the original Raleigh factory on Triumph Road, so no problems removing a bottom bracket or anything else for that matter.

I do also have the option of the Bike to Work scheme but my employer only uses Halfords, so I am limited to them.

I've seen some blogs doing the BB conversion which seems within my grasp, any kit recommendations for the 13?

[EDIT] just spotted this https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/focus-whistler2-39-2019-electric-hardtail-mountain-bike-grey-74999-delivered-at-rutland-cycling-was-129999-then-89999-3325391

Cheers

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That bike looks very good value. The battery is a bit small, which might mean not too much power . The motor is standard Chinese. I can't see any type of control panel nor any wires going to one, which begs questions about how you adjust power. Also, the crank seems to be a bit special. I can't see a conventional pedal sensor, so maybe a torque sensor of some sort.

For £749, it still looks good. Ride it until anything goes wrong, then chuck the battery and controller and get conventional Chinese ones for around £250, and you still have a bike that would be excellent value at £1000.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The motor is standard Chinese.
the web page says it's a Groove Go.
Was it a direct drive motor that flopped about 3 years ago?

The Groove Go e-bike system of the Focus Whistler is super-intuitive and easy to use, with one button to turn on the power assist and change the settings.

Hucknallred

Nov 5, 2019
So, the £250 I saw mentioned, is that a figure I'd be looking at to upgrade the "13"?
I have seen mention of issues with the cable guide under the BB? I haven't had time for a proper look around the forum yet. As I say I'm looking at upgrade if it's economical enough.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Grove Go is just a brand name for Xofo, Shengyi , Bafang or whatever it is.

£250 is only in case the bespoke battery and control system are either useless or go wrong in the future sometime.

To convert your bike would be about £500 to £700.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Groove is Kalkhoff motor.
Kalkhoff never made their own motors, except the acquired Daum Impulse motors. I guess you didn't bother to look at the photo of the actual motor that's in that bike, which looks surprisingly similar to yours. Are you, therefore, using Groove Go motors from Kalkhoff in your bikes?

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Are you, therefore, using Groove Go motors from Kalkhoff in your bikes?
my motors are bigger!

the Groove Go looks more like an Aikema.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
my motors are bigger!

the Groove Go looks more like an Aikema.
Are you kidding or trolling?
Spot the difference:
Groove Go

Woosh Rio motor

They even both have the same green QC sticker. BTW. Your 36V 250W label looks highly suspicious. I wonder what's underneath it.

Last edited:
Reactions: KirstinS

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
OK you won.

Reactions: KirstinS

Hucknallred

Nov 5, 2019
On that note I think I'll put a post in the "which bike is best..." thread as I have a number of purchase options & retailer discounts available.