Raleigh Dover

rolando177

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 5, 2011
For the last two or three years I have been commuting by car every day - 12 miles each way over the Downs. I had often thought of doing the trip by bike but there were too many hills. I could manage less than half the distance on my old Moulton.

So, in a moment of mid-life crisis, I bought a Raleigh Dover on Ebay.

What an extraordinary machine! I am now obsessed by cadence but keep it in the "zone" and the hills just disappear. It is a slow bike but that suits me. The gearing is so low that there is no point in pedalling fast, just relax. The riding position is comfortable, the handlebar wonderful, but the seat might be a bit narrow.

Range no more than 18 miles on full power but the hills are steep and I am quite heavy. The charger comes to work with me.

I have set it up as a commuter bike with Dutch Perfect tyres (skittish), a mirror and a briefcase pannier. Two trips this week, three planned for next week.

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
there is always scope for change if you need it later. Changiing the motor sproket to 11t wil lift the assistance speed and changing the rear gear sprocket will increase your gears so they are not as low.I only use my 1st which is the equivalent to your 2nd on the very steepest hills. 7th is one up from yours as well which makes the flat and downhill a lot better. If you want more range then the 18a battery is available soon,allegedly...still waiting for mine..Enjoy,as you get fitter you will use less of the high power and your range will increase.