Raleigh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've posted on this in the main forum Indalo. I'm not concerned about what has happened to the name, it became meaningless very many years ago in a similar period to the collapse of our car, truck and motorcycle industries.

As you'll see on this link, the implications for Raleigh e-bikes are the big question now, since as near Kalkhoff clones they are made by Accell's main rival, Pon Holding's company Derby Cycles.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
At the recent Raleigh event here in swindon, Lloyd Clarkson brought along a new center-drive machine which he is currently beta testing. Having been sworn to secrecy for obvious commercial reasons, I cannot say too much about it.

Although the manufacturers name had been covered with black tape, I recognised the brand as a somewhat revolutionary new concept, and it's performance was really quite 'eye-popping'. Hope I haven't said too much, Lloyd is returning to Swindon in June :eek:

Interesting times ahead I suspect.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At the recent Raleigh event here in swindon, Lloyd Clarkson brought along a new center-drive machine which he is currently beta testing. Having been sworn to secrecy for obvious commercial reasons, I cannot say too much about it.

Although the manufacturers name had been covered with black tape, I recognised the brand as a somewhat revolutionary new concept, and it's performance was really quite 'eye-popping'. Hope I haven't said too much, Lloyd is returning to Swindon in June :eek:

Interesting times ahead I suspect.
Interesting Blew it, hopefully unconnected with this rival groups situation. The relationship of the Raleigh name to e-bikes hasn't been a happy one, first a tie-in to Powabyke, the latter failing and having to be rescued, and now the intrinsic threat of this Accell/Pon Holdings conflict to their later Derby Cycles product.

I'm intrigued to see if Derby Cycles insists on continuing the use of the Raleigh name now it's part of the main rival, something they seem perfectly entitled to do.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Ermm....revolutionary and "eye-popping" enough to cancel your Haibike order Blewit?

Indalo
Oh no, it should be here in the next four or five weeks. I'm not easily dazzled by the latest secret glitter box.

Electrically assisted bicycles are evolving rapidly, so fast it's difficult for retailers to ensure the latest 'must have' is available over the counter. No sooner do they think they have the best possible choice in all price brackets, along comes another new kid on the block.

It's interesting to note, many of the really ground-breaking machines are coming from Mainland Europe. And of course, they are all pure pedelecs. In the case of hub motored machines, TMM torque sensor drop-outs are now the norm, giving the same instant response to pedal pressure as the crank-drives do. Again, as with the crank-drives, there is no requirement to have switched brake levers, exposed rotation sensors, throttles and all the spaggetti wiring that goes with them. With the possibility of accidental damaged to any of these peripherals removed, a more reliable machine emerges.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Again, as with the crank-drives, there is no requirement to have switched brake levers, exposed rotation sensors, throttles and all the spaggetti wiring that goes with them. With the possibility of accidental damaged to any of these peripherals removed, a more reliable machine emerges.
Despite all the calls to retain throttles, I still think good pedelec systems are the way to go for these reasons. Earlier hub motor pedelec implementations were very poor and probably resulted in so many liking throttles, but I see now need any more with the TMM sensors and other equally good developments. One day all hub motor e-bikes will be able to be ridden in the rain!

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Despite all the calls to retain throttles, I still think good pedelec systems are the way to go for these reasons. Earlier hub motor pedelec implementations were very poor and probably resulted in so many liking throttles, but I see now need any more with the TMM sensors and other equally good developments. One day all hub motor e-bikes will be able to be ridden in the rain!
Well, I think that if e-bikes are to become more popular, throttles will have to be retained.
Many possible riders, particularly the older ones simply cannot pedal continuously.
At present, I am having problems with my hips and knees, I still ride, but reserve the limited pedal power I have for the hills. Of course, it may well be that a disabled version of popular bikes will have to be made available in order to respect the Disability Discrimination Act.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There does seem to be an increasing chance of throttles to be permitted by the EU, disabability being mentioned as a reason to have them. I agree that they are desirable for that reason, my post above referring to the mainstream users. I'm influenced by the lack of calls for throttles in mainland Europe where they have been pedelec only for nearly nine years and e-bikes are immensely popular, outselling the UK sales many times over. Clearly they don't have a problem for the vast majority.

Advertisers