`Rear hub drive motor with 32 spoke holes

jumpin

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Altrincham
HI everyone, i'm starting new build project, and i've just come across my first problem. The bike i'm using has 32 spoke rear wheel, and i would like to keep the original wheel, but i'm having a problem finding a 36 volt 350 watt rear hub motor with 32 spoke holes. Does anyone know where i can get one from?

Ronnie

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Catsnapper our resident wheel builder might have an answer to your problem, I suggest you PM him.

I don't know if this helps but BMSbattery were selling off cheap 32 hole front drive motors.

http://www.bmsbattery.com/108-32-holes-hub-motor

edit: sorry page inactive, seems like there all gone, might be worth asking though.

Last edited:

jumpin

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Altrincham
Catsnapper our resident wheel builder might have an answer to your problem, I suggest you PM him.

I don't know if this helps but BMSbattery were selling off cheap 32 hole front drive motors.

32 Spoke Holes Hub Motor

edit: sorry page inactive, seems like there all gone, might be worth asking though.
Hi Shemozzle.

I asked BMS if they did 32 hole rear hubs, but they don't. I will message Catsnapper to see if he knows of a solution, thanks

fa001313

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 23, 2013
Belgium
I ordered my rear motor from Keyde.com in China and it was built on order (also 32 holes in my case).
I guess there must be other companies that do the same.

catsnapper

Pedelecer
Hi Ronnie,

I know of a few suppliers of 32h front motor hubs, but rear ones seem to be a rarity - apart from an occasional supplier that will do custom drilling, I've only seen them available a couple of times from German e-bike suppliers. They weren't a familiar make or design and at the low power end of the market.

I've built plenty of wheels with 36h hubs into 32h rims, but I'm not too keen to try it with a moderately powerful e-wheel for obvious reasons!

Assuming you mean you want to rebuild the orignal wheel with a motor, the only thing you'd keep is the rim. Why not keep the wheel complete in case you want to reuse it?
Rims are not too expensive and you'd have the certainty of a new, unstressed rim with the motor of your choice.

Alan (Catsnapper)

Last edited:

jumpin

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Altrincham
Thanks guys, I think Catsnappers idea is the best and safest, just buy a whole new wheel with the motor built in. Thanks for the info, I'm sure i'll be back with another problem soon :)

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Just buy a 36 hole version of your existing rim.

If I'm reading you correctly you're thinking about getting a motor, unlacing your existing rim and lacing it onto the motor? If so, that's a bad idea - you do not want to build a new wheel with a rim that previously been built into a wheel.

New wheel = new rim and spokes. Reusing a hub is fine unless it's a super lightweight item.