Help! Recalcitrant Oxygen eBike

Marchant

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2010
Bath, UK
Good afternoon. Recently I was delighted with all your sage advice concerning the battery problem on my newly-recelled Oxygen battery in that, when fully charged it would deliver for 7-8 miles but after switching off and on would indicate battery empty. Then if I removed the battery for a few hours and then replaced it all would be well. Your advice was to resolder the connections behind the key lock which I did, and check and make good all connections in the controller, which I must confess I had Take Charge eBikes of Bath do for me. But sadly, all to no avail. The odd thing is that it only seems to fail once and then behaves perfectly well until the battery needs recharging after which it starts all over again. I wonder if any of you experienced and knowledgeable people might be able to help me?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I would like to help, but I have no idea what your problem is. Instead of telling us what you've had for breakfast, can you just describe the problem and how it started?

Marchant

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2010
Bath, UK
Don't really know ho I can put it more succinctly; when the battery is full charged it will give me 7 or 8 miles (my commute is only 2 miles so I will have switched it on and off 3-4 times) and the then the next time I switch on the battery will indicate that is empty. However, after I have taken the battery off and left if for a few hours, when I replace and switch on the battery once more indicates that it is fully charged. I was advised to re-solder the connections to the back of the key switch, which I did, and check all the connectors on the control box, which I had my local eBike shop do, but the problem persists. Jimmy replaced the cells in the battery back in October so it is tip-top condition.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Don't really know ho I can put it more succinctly; when the battery is full charged it will give me 7 or 8 miles (my commute is only 2 miles so I will have switched it on and off 3-4 times) and the then the next time I switch on the battery will indicate that is empty. However, after I have taken the battery off and left if for a few hours, when I replace and switch on the battery once more indicates that it is fully charged. I was advised to re-solder the connections to the back of the key switch, which I did, and check all the connectors on the control box, which I had my local eBike shop do, but the problem persists. Jimmy replaced the cells in the battery back in October so it is tip-top condition.
When the battery indicator shows zero, have you tried to ride the bike any distance to see if the indicator recovers?

Marchant

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2010
Bath, UK
When the battery indicator shows zero, have you tried to ride the bike any distance to see if the indicator recovers?
Yes I have and no joy, I'm afraid. I have also tried removing and replacing the battery but it only seems to come back to life after a few hours rather than a few minutes. And as I said, the oddest thing to me is that it only does it once during the battery's cycle; once it has had its 'tantrum' it behaves perfectly well until I need to recharge, which I tend to do at around 25 miles.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The only thing I can suggest is to put a bridge across the key-switch and test the bike to see if it still does it. Until you've finished testing, remove the battery when you'd normally switch off. It won't do the battery any harm. If you have an LCD or LED display, that's good enough for switching off anyway. The key-switch is unnecessary. The only thing it does is save the contacts from eroding if you take the battery out regularly.

Marchant

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2010
Bath, UK
The only thing I can suggest is to put a bridge across the key-switch and test the bike to see if it still does it. Until you've finished testing, remove the battery when you'd normally switch off. It won't do the battery any harm. If you have an LCD or LED display, that's good enough for switching off anyway. The key-switch is unnecessary. The only thing it does is save the contacts from eroding if you take the battery out regularly.
Thanks for this very plausible suggestion: I will give it a go.