Recommendations for a newbie

TJ1978

Just Joined
Jun 17, 2013
Hi - I'm Tim, 34 from Leicester. I'm looking to buy my first electric bike and would appreciate some advice please.

My budget is around the £1000 mark and the bike will be mainly used for commuting to and from work, a 12 mile round trip (I can charge at work) consisting mostly of tarmac cycle track along an old railway line (the Great Central Way in Leicester if anyone is familiar?).

I'm looking for something quick, reliable and comfortable. I'm 6ft 3" / 13 stone.

Thanks partly to info from this site, my top choices at the moment are the Alien Ocean Aurora, currently £1099:

Electric Bicycles - Online Shop - Bikes

Or the A2b Hybrid 26 at £995:

A2B Hybrid 26 Electric Bike. Electric Bikes, Buy Fast Hybrid eBikes, Folding & Mountain Bikes For Sale with Reviews & UK Insurance

Do you guys think I'm in the right ball park or are there any other models I should be considering?

Also, regarding the A2B Hybrid, can anyone explain the difference between the Hybrid 24 and the Hybrid 26 models? Apart from the obvious difference in wheel size, the specs look the same for each so why is the 26 nearly half the price?! (I've found it under £1000 from a few different suppliers whereas the 24 always seems to be around £1795 - £1999).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tim

C

Cyclezee

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum, the best place to get advice and find information about the world of electric bikes.

We have couple of eZee models that meet your criteria, so please take a couple of minutes to browse our website electric bikes and conversion kits - Home

Regards,

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The A2B you've looked at would do the job, although it's heavy, even for an ebike.

Not sure about luggage, either.

Commuting by bike you'll probably find you want panniers for the odd item of clothing, sarnies, laptop, etc.

The Kudos tourer is worth a look.

Decent ebike, specify the 8-speed gear hub for lower maintenance and cleaner running.

It will take panniers, and/or a bag on top of the carrier.

.: Kudos Cycles - e-bikes with style :.

Or save a bit of money and look at one of the many Sciroccos from Woosh.

The base Scirocco is excellent value at under £600.

The Sirocco | Electric Bikes from Woosh | electric bike sales & hire

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Also, regarding the A2B Hybrid, can anyone explain the difference between the Hybrid 24 and the Hybrid 26 models? Apart from the obvious difference in wheel size, the specs look the same for each so why is the 26 nearly half the price?! (I've found it under £1000 from a few different suppliers whereas the 24 always seems to be around £1795 - £1999).
Hi Tim....Mark Loveridge would be the one to explain this to you, I'm sure hed be only too happy to.
...you might want to consider another of his bikes....the Fast4ward Peak.

....Mike

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
I have had my Aurora for a couple of years now, I am 6'3" 17 stone you will love it lots of power and a good size bike for the taller rider, support from Alien is superb always happy to help you. I had a few spoke breakages early on but altering the spoke elbow angle and fitting spoke washers has sorted this, I also had a screw inside the motor come out and caused a noise but no damage I think this was a freak incident and not a common problem, http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/12846-s-b-motor-noise-fixed.html?highlight=aurora the original battery failed after a few months but was replaced within 2 days by Jim at Alien so I can honestly recommend them and the bike.

I wouldnt hesitate in buying another one if I had to replace it John

Last edited:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Tim

Please Give me a call i have just the bike for you From £995 we are not far from you Please come for a test ride We are open 7 days a week

Frank

TJ1978

Just Joined
Jun 17, 2013
Thanks for all the replies and help so far! I did PM Mark from Hero Eco regarding the Hybrid models and he's been really helpful. I think I'd want the Hybrid 24 which may be a bit out of my price range but he's going to update me on some possible ex-display models.

I also visited the Ebike Electric Cycle Centre here in Leicester yesterday for my first ever test ride and I'm hooked! I tried a FreeGo Eagle and a BH Emotion Neo City and was impressed with them both in different ways so if anyone is interested in those models I'd be happy to share my experience.

I think some more test rides are in order before I make my mind up for sure and then there's the Aurora to consider which, due to location, I can't test ride but seems to have all the features and power I'd like at the right price.

I biked to work this morning on my 100% human powered Giant Cypress and felt like I had the brakes half on in comparision to my eBike antics yesterday so I don't think there's any going back now!

I'll keep you updated! :D

TJ1978

Just Joined
Jun 17, 2013
I forgot to mention, the guys at the Ebike Centre were very helpful and friendly so well worth a visit if you live locally or even if you don't! (it's a 1 min walk from Leicester train station).

C

Cyclezee

Hi again TJ,

Another suggestion, as you already have a nice human powered bike, you might like to consider fitting a conversion kit to it. One of our eZee kits would be a good choice for your Giant Cypress, please take a minute to look here eZee Conversion Kits - electric bikes and conversion kits.

We have demo bikes available for test rides in Milton Keynes.

Regards,