Recommendations for lights for eBike

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
I don't have lights on my eBike as I don't take it out in the dark but I am loaning the bike to my stepson who will be using it for a 10 mile commute. As it's December this means that sometimes his commute will be during the hours of darkness. I am looking for recommendations for add on lights for front & rear to allow him to see & to be seen.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I don't have lights on my eBike as I don't take it out in the dark but I am loaning the bike to my stepson who will be using it for a 10 mile commute. As it's December this means that sometimes his commute will be during the hours of darkness. I am looking for recommendations for add on lights for front & rear to allow him to see & to be seen.
This is a really good rear light, even without using the lasers. The lasers seem to stop cars from wanting to overtake you, which is annoying, so I never use them. The brackets are very weak, so be careful with it or make your own:
These are really good front lights. get the expensive option with the 8.4v 9600mah battery:

Also here (4-cell battery pack):

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
As above. Todays you can get something called Daybright. These are a big safety factor because they have a piercing brightness thats very visible during the day. I see a lot of roadies using daybright these days.

Be Safe Be Seen

Avoid the cheapos that make big claims,, theyre all false and theres more chance it will burn your house down than light up the way ahead

Last edited:

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
As above. Todays you can get something called Daybright. These are a big safety factor because they have a piercing brightness thats very visible during the day. I see a lot of roadies using daybright these days.

Be Safe Be Seen

Avoid the cheapos that make big claims,, theyre all false and theres more chance it will bun your house down than light up the way ahead
Please can you provide links to lamps you personally use not just links to YouTube videos with wild claims?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Please can you provide links to lamps you personally use during the day to make yourself more visible?
Which bike do you have? If your battery is dumb ie without properietary communication protocols; instead connected to the controller by two wires, you could solder one of these to your ebike battery via an inline blade fuse and waterproof switch - I've got two of these headlights on my handlebar (plus a "2300LM"), which are very effective night and day, plus another made red at the back. I keep the rear "1800LM" red flashing day and night, both the ones at the front on contant at night, and one of the front lights flashing while the other is constantly (plus the "2300LM") on in daylight. Might all seem OTT, but it works both for being seen by drivers and making potholes visible. No driver has looked right at me and pulled out in front regardless since.

Last edited:

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Hundreds of posts here already search Bike lights

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Please can you provide links to lamps you personally use
Sure thing.
Rear - A Hope(burn your retinas out) District+

Front - Exposure(Emergency lighthouse) Toro

I'd happily add the Montage to the bike only I've just been conned by these black friday sales into buying a couple of sets of Hope tech4 V4 brakes, a fox 36 factory fork and pro5 front wheel.
Damn these sales and my complete lack of self control.

Last edited:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I use a moon light combo.

Moon Meteor-X Pro & Comet X Light Set

I bought them in July 2020 for my 10 mile road commute back from work with a large B road unlit section.

The front light is probably the minimum you would want to see to ride on an unlit road. You could get away with less if you just want to be seen rather than see.

I always used the front light on its brightest setting and my ride was around 30 minutes. It is also possible to replace the battery on this light when the re chargeable 1860 gets to the end of its life.

The rear light is very good. I always use it on its brightest slowest flashing mode. As soon as I put it on I could tell cars were noticing me and mostly overtaking with care.

When I bought them as a combo in July 2020 the pair cost me £34.99

They are more today!

I use the rear flasher all the time, day or night on every ride as you get noticed using it. Its bright.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Great light, 3 beam levels, remembers last setting, and telltale indicates state of charge blue, yellow, red(low), €80 in sale.
Rad "premium" €50 extra light has bright but v.narrow "german stvzo" beam, hence adding the cateye flood.

Rad rear light is OK, with "brake" function, but I've added a Cateye Reflex for poor viz nights.

Attachments

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
I use a moon light combo.

Moon Meteor-X Pro & Comet X Light Set

I bought them in July 2020 for my 10 mile road commute back from work with a large B road unlit section.

The front light is probably the minimum you would want to see to ride on an unlit road. You could get away with less if you just want to be seen rather than see.

I always used the front light on its brightest setting and my ride was around 30 minutes. It is also possible to replace the battery on this light when the re chargeable 1860 gets to the end of its life.

The rear light is very good. I always use it on its brightest slowest flashing mode. As soon as I put it on I could tell cars were noticing me and mostly overtaking with care.

When I bought them as a combo in July 2020 the pair cost me £34.99

They are more today!

I use the rear flasher all the time, day or night on every ride as you get noticed using it. Its bright.
Sorry, not to have updated the thread sooner. The Moon Meteor-X Pro & Comet X Light Set is what I ordered from Amazon at a cost of £49.99. I found that I already had a bright rear light that I had never fitted so added that too so there was one flashing light & one rear light on continuously. I had planned on ordering another set if the headlamp hadn't been bright enough but in my testing in the dark it was fine with one. I also ordered some high vis waterproofs for him.

The lad tells me that he had no problems commuting by bike over Xmas while we were away. He has his driving test in a couple of weeks which if I am any judge he should pass easily so won't be reliant on the bike. Personally I wouldn't want to take a bike out after dark no matter how bright the lights or how reflective my clothing.

Reactions: georgehenry