Recording Serial Numbers

PedalingGator

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 30, 2021
Two questions....

Recent Police advice over here was to record the serial numbers of your bicycle incase they are stolen.
Do you all do this?

Also, do you record the serial numbers of any other valuable items about the house?

:)

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Yes, definitely. As Muddy says, take a photo, and back it up in whatever method you use. If the worst happens, you can always dig it out again.

And yes to the household stuff too, if it's up there at eBike value, i.e. thousands.
Some valuable items won't be deemed uninsured unless you have them valued by a professional every 4 - 5 years. It's worth reading the tedious small print to see the requirements placed upon on you.

Reactions: PedalingGator

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Recent Police advice over here was to record the serial numbers of your bicycle incase they are stolen.
You really ought to register your bikes(s) (and other valuable possessions) with serial numbers and pictures on a free web-site database such as www.immobilise.com so Plod can match any recovered items to you, the owner.

Immobilise (and others, like Datatag) also offer RFID chips for stuffing deep into your bikes seat-post; Plod can scan these to reunite the stolen bike to it's owner too. All my bikes have them, about £12 each IIRC. Halfords sell/used to sell them too.

Reactions: PedalingGator

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
Definitely. To record those data, you have the chance to get a replacement. For example, there are some serial numbers on the back of the lcd/led display. According to those numbers, sometimes you can get the exact same new one from https://topeparts.com/product-category/lcd-display/
I’m registering my new Wisper on Bike Register and Immobilise and getting a marking kit from the former.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes