Registering an e-bike as an e-moped w the DVLA

oneyedjim

Just Joined
Sep 2, 2016
Portsmouth
I have owed several e-bikes and am such an enthusiast that I've almost given up my car

I am now considering buying a Hammer 1500 watt e-bike in a derestricted form and wish to register it for road use with the DVLA. Can anyone advise me on how to do this please?

Jim

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Since it will be regarded as a form of moped, you have to apply for approval under the MSVA scheme (Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval). This requires it to be inspected for suitability by the DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency) at one of their test centres.

You'll find the necessary details on this link.

The very few who have tried this previously have only succeeded after extensive modifications to the bike. To give just some examples, it will have to have a suitable headlight to give the right beam, usually one from a moped, and it will need a stoplight. The tyres will have to be a motorcycle approved type.

If it's capable of over 15.5 mph, which I'm sure it will be, it will fall into the L1e-B electric full moped class, for which the driving licence will be any of the following:

Categories, AM, P, A, or category B (car) only if the car test was passed before 1st February 2001.

Last edited:

oneyedjim

Just Joined
Sep 2, 2016
Portsmouth
Since it will be regarded as a form of moped, you have to apply for approval under the MSVA scheme (Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval). This requires it to be inspected for suitability by the DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency) at one of their test centres.

You'll find the necessary details on this link.

The very few who have tried this previously have on'y succeeded after extensive modifications to the bike. To give just some examples, it will have to have a suitable headlight to give the right beam, usually one from a moped, and it will need a stoplight. The tyres will have to be a motorcycle approved type.

If it's capable of over 15.5 mph, which I'm sure it will be, it will fall into the L1e-B electric full moped class, for which the driving licence will be any of the following:

Categories, AM, P, A, or category B (car) only if the car test was passed before 1st February 2001.
Brilliant answer. The bike will make 30mph. I have a full motorcycle license in any case. Thanks for your help. If anyone has done this, please do add to the thread

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The very few who have tried this previously have only succeeded after extensive modifications to the bike. To give just some examples, it will have to have a suitable headlight to give the right beam, usually one from a moped, and it will need a stoplight. The tyres will have to be a motorcycle approved type.
Supernova lights (maybe some b+m too), Magura MT5e brakes and Schwalbe E75 stamped tyres are all L1e-B approved in the EU. In France you need a special horn.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

If you want some advice, do not buy one of those bikes unless they provide you with a copy of the type approval certificate. Without one, registration won't be easy. I very much doubt that they have one, but you should ask in case.

• Informative

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Two mirrors and a stand for the MSVA,they can be taken off after the test.They are not needed for the mot test.Illuminated speedo,horn,reg plate holder and indicators You will need to insure the bike using the frame number before DVLA will issue a reg number.Adrian flux quoted me £180 to insure on a frame number,they said it would drop to about £80 for the next year.Let us know if you get a better quote.

Sent from my D101 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Why not buy an electric moped,there are some really good ones from Germany these days,they will come with type approval.
I thought about importing some through the Kudos brand but customers reaction was they didn't want the compulsory helmet,tax,insurance etc. The joy of legal e-bikes is the independence,the ability to ride it anywhere that a non assisted bike can travel and zero bureaucracy.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
Why not buy an electric moped,there are some really good ones from Germany these days,they will come with type approval.
I thought about importing some through the Kudos brand but customers reaction was they didn't want the compulsory helmet,tax,insurance etc. The joy of legal e-bikes is the independence,the ability to ride it anywhere that a non assisted bike can travel and zero bureaucracy.
KudosDave
My thoughts too... If you are able to ride a motorcycle, with the loss of flexibility in having an ebike in use anywhere form why mess around?

John

• Agree

Ken Ferguson

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 12, 2015
At E Rider we sell both EAPC bikes and more powerful electric scooters. All of our scooters have EWVTA. There is no doubt that the market for bikes is bigger but for some people 15MPH is just not fast enough to meet their needs.

We are looking at a new model scooter which has a 72 volt lithium battery and a 2000w motor. It really is the Tesla of electric scooters however I would be interested in any opinions on the styling.

IMG_0235.JPG IMG_0233.JPG

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Ken

that looks like a 'nice' spacey scooter.
Styling is good for its type.

( for the record long term biker, scoters are carp etc.)

• Agree
Reactions: mw1

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The styling certainly breaks from the market norm, in perhaps being more feminine and somewhat cute.

I think that could narrow the market somewhat.

From a practical point of view though, I'd much rather wash that than many of the more messily styled scooters on the market. Just seconds with a sponge and bucket would make it look respectable, a good selling point.

• Agree
Reactions: mw1 and LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I don't think you'll be selling too many to 17 to 25 year olds.
Is that the demographic? I like the style, maybe too much chrome, how big is the boot? Join @flecc on "easy to wash".

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nice but at £6k, it's not cheap.

The link for anyone interested:

http://eriderbikes.com/model-60/
That model 60 is surely the Vectrix relaunched, looks almost identical.

The Vectrix was a great scooter to ride but had a few reliability problems. It's £7000 launch price didn't help either. Later the price was dropped to £6000, but the company still failed.

I see no reason for it to succeed under a new name at that £6000, even if they've solved the issues. Same problem as fully electric cars, the crippling battery costs make them far too expensive.

Advertisers