Replace forks on a Samebike LO26?

Sander_Koop

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 22, 2020
Hi, has anybody done this?

The stock forks are awful, feel like they might snap if I ever took the bike off road. I know I'd need a 1 1/8ths fork, but do I need threaded or not? I'd rather not dismantle the whole front end to find out I bought the wrong forks...

I know th LO26 is only cheap, but I'm trying to improve it a bit at a time, mainly shedding weight & improving components. New gear set is on the way, going to replace the bars & seat post for carbon fibre ones, so that eventually I can maybe bring the weight down to under 25kg's (28, stock). Fit hydraulic brakes instead of the mechanicals it has now. Maybe even replace the wheels (front first).

I know it's never going to be a great MTB, but it's enough for me!

Reactions: Kevyboy

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Take a look at your handlebar stem, if it has two clamping bolts it will be threadless. If it has a single bolt top centre then it will be threaded you need

Reactions: Sander_Koop

Haystacks

Just Joined
Sep 9, 2020
So ive pretty much done what you want to mine, different brand but same bike more or less. The difference in ride is amazing. I bought this specific type because i needed a folding emtb, i always intended on swapping most of the parts out and most of it is gone now.38227382283822938230

Kevyboy

Just Joined
Sep 11, 2020
So ive pretty much done what you want to mine, different brand but same bike more or less. The difference in ride is amazing. I bought this specific type because i needed a folding emtb, i always intended on swapping most of the parts out and most of it is gone now.View attachment 38227View attachment 38228View attachment 38229View attachment 38230
Hi, I need to replace my front forks on my SAMEBIKE what forks do I need, nothing flash - please help as I don't want to buy the wrong ones

Kevyboy

Just Joined
Sep 11, 2020
Hi, has anybody done this?

The stock forks are awful, feel like they might snap if I ever took the bike off road. I know I'd need a 1 1/8ths fork, but do I need threaded or not? I'd rather not dismantle the whole front end to find out I bought the wrong forks...

I know th LO26 is only cheap, but I'm trying to improve it a bit at a time, mainly shedding weight & improving components. New gear set is on the way, going to replace the bars & seat post for carbon fibre ones, so that eventually I can maybe bring the weight down to under 25kg's (28, stock). Fit hydraulic brakes instead of the mechanicals it has now. Maybe even replace the wheels (front first).

I know it's never going to be a great MTB, but it's enough for me!

Kevyboy

Just Joined
Sep 11, 2020
Hi I need to replace my forks on my same bike... do they have to be special e-bike forks or can anything go on them, don't want to spend to much... could you suggest for me - maybe send a link as I don't know much about bikes

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can fit any type with a straight 1 1/8" steerer tube. Measure from the bottom to top of the steerer on your present forks and make sure the steerer on the replacements is at least as long. If you want comfort, air forks are pretty well mandatory.

Kevyboy

Just Joined
Sep 11, 2020
You can fit any type with a straight 1 1/8" steerer tube. Measure from the bottom to top of the steerer on your present forks and make sure the steerer on the replacements is at least as long. If you want comfort, air forks are pretty well mandatory.
thanks, could you send me a link of a decent set under £100

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
I got some basic suspension forks for £20 recently - worth a look to see what else they have

Sander_Koop

Jun 22, 2020
So ive pretty much done what you want to mine, different brand but same bike more or less. The difference in ride is amazing. I bought this specific type because i needed a folding emtb, i always intended on swapping most of the parts out and most of it is gone now.View attachment 38227View attachment 38228View attachment 38229View attachment 38230
I love that. Nice job. Was there no issues with the hydraulic disk brake conversion? The brakes are wired into the control unit? I think the bike could do with better brakes, especially if I'm making it lighter, changing the gearing etc.

I'm also considering having the entire front derailleur removed, and just running a single front sprocket, as I NEVER use the front gear change.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I would keep the front derailleur on (it hardly weighs anything) to keep your chain on the chainring. You can buy narrow / wide chainrings which are meant to help keep your chain on, Race Face, Hope (UK company) and others make them. I bought a cheap single speed crankset off eBay, keep my derailleur on and run a good quality chainring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sander_Koop

Sander_Koop

Jun 22, 2020
I would keep the front derailleur on (it hardly weighs anything) to keep your chain on the chainring. You can buy narrow / wide chainrings which are meant to help keep your chain on, Race Face, Hope (UK company) and others make them. I bought a cheap single speed crabkset off eBay, keep my derailleur on and run a good quality chainring.
Can you point me to some? I've been having a look around eBay, but I can't see the wood through the trees - so many options, I have no idea which to go for! With the 11 tooth rear freewheel I'm going to fit, I recon the stock largest front sprocket will be good, but I have no idea how many teeth that is.

Bicycle tech has come on a bit since I was last properly involved in it, nearly 30 years ago (I feel proper old now)!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My chain on my hybrid use to come off quite often with no chain keep despite a new chain, I put it down to the CR teeth being a bit worn. I swapped the Shimano ring out for SNAIL brand narrow wide off ebay and since not had one chain issue.

Related Articles

Advertisers