Replace freehub or wheel?

robotron

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 26, 2019
Hi all,
I've got a Haibike SDuro Hardseven 4.0 (27.5", 2018) which has so far been the best thing I ever bought.

The freehub is now on its way out as it's catching when freewheeling. The rear hub isn't a brand name type, it's listed as a Haibike specific part.

Wheelset:

Rodi Black Rock Rims, Haibike TheHub++
Cassette:
Sram PG1130, 11-42 Teeth, 11 Speed

I emailed Haibike and they told me it's part number 2169400500 which I can't find in the UK and only shows up on European sites at 100 euros(ish).

Has anyone got any ideas as to what the part actually is and where I could easily get one (or an equivalent) at a reasonable price in the UK?

Failing that, would it be less expensive to replace the wheel? Any recommendations on a replacement wheel?

Thanks for any help

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there is no cheap way to deal with proprietary designs.
Your choices are:
- repair the pawls
- replace the pawls if you can find out where Haibike got theirs from
- replace the rear hub with another brand and relace the wheel
- buy another wheel of a different brand
- buy the Hub++ from a Haibike dealer

buy the Haibike part (the Hub++) is probably the cheapest solution for now. All other solutions lead to other issues.

robotron

Mar 26, 2019
Thanks for the reply, I can't do anything to fix a worn/deformed pawl and think the likelihood of finding where Haibike get their pawls from is zero so it looks like I have two choices:

1) Find somewhere in the UK where I can buy the freehub. I spoke to my LBS and gave them the Haibike part number and they've said it isn't something they recognise. To give them credit, there is a crisis going on so response times are obviously delayed and they are going to speak to Raleigh (UK distributor) direct so there is still a chance I can buy the part.
2) Replace the wheel. This is looking more and more like the best route in the long term, especially if I replace it with one that uses a freehub that can be replaced in the future.

Can anyone recommend a decent 27.5" rear wheel which is suitable for an E-MTB that doesn't cost the earth, can take my SRAM cassette and is serviceable?

It's odd that in this day and age I'm potentially faced with throwing away a large component because a small part of it has failed and can't be replaced, especially when its peers offer much better access to spares and serviceability. The planet needs less things ending up in landfill.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I only started looking into boost wheelsets - but your wheel is 27.5" 12x148 isn't it?

robotron

Mar 26, 2019
It's a normal QR, not sure what the terminology is for that but it doesn't have a maxle or anything special.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
check the dropout to be on the safe side, if it's 135mm then more or less any 27.5" MTB wheel will do.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

robotron

Mar 26, 2019
check the dropout to be on the safe side, if it's 135mm then more or less any 27.5" MTB wheel will do.
I thought e-bikes required hubs & freehubs that could handle higher torque, if not it'll make my life easier. Thanks for the info.

robotron

Mar 26, 2019

is that it?
I'd seen that Cycle Service Nordic link when googling "2169400500".
I don't think the hollandbikeshop link is the same part as they have different EAN numbers and different inside diameters.

Edit - Using the EAN as a search gives me this:

This is listed as a Shimano part, could it be compatible? I hate competing standards that essentially do the same thing and offer no advantage for being different for the sake of it.

80 quid seems steep but is there a complete wheel at this price point that would be a better bet?

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well any haibike parts are expensive i got one lol but you are not going to get a good wheel for 80 quid with a good free hub body than what you have and could be even worse.

robotron

Mar 26, 2019
Hopefully this is the simplest question so far.
Will my SRAM 11 speed cassette fit on a shimano freehub?

Assuming I replaced the wheel with something like this, would everything fit?

I'm looking at the Rear/135mm/QR option.

Thanks for any help (again!)

robotron

Mar 26, 2019
well any haibike parts are expensive i got one lol but you are not going to get a good wheel for 80 quid with a good free hub body than what you have and could be even worse.
The price isn't the worst thing, it's the lack of clear info from Haibike as to what part I actually need and where I can buy it from. I don't fancy ordering £80+ parts from overseas or random ebay sellers, only to find they don't fit.

At least with brand name hubs you can get spares easily. It's a poor do when I'm considering ditching the entire wheel.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far. Hopefully Haibike or at least Raleigh may give me clear info over the next few days. Having a means of getting out of the house (at a safe distance to others of course) is a real lifeline in these troubled times.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
freehub bodies are consumable, if you go for a Shimano wheel, next time you have to replace the freehub, it will be easy and cheap.

• Agree
Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah that will work but id spend as much as you can afford tbh or save for a decent wheel set i have some mavic dmax pros but they cost £900

xd driver kills it price wise :(

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
Hopefully this is the simplest question so far.
Will my SRAM 11 speed cassette fit on a shimano freehub?

Assuming I replaced the wheel with something like this, would everything fit?

I'm looking at the Rear/135mm/QR option.

Thanks for any help (again!)
Yes, Shimano and SRAM cassettes are interchangeable. Campagnolo are the odd-one-out.

robotron

Mar 26, 2019
I took it apart (after having to buy an 11mm allen key, thanks for that Haibike) and it appears to be one of these:

I've ordered one so hopefully it'll be a perfect fit. None of the numbers from Haibike match any of this so it's still unconfirmed but I'll post in here if it does in case anyone else needs one in the future.

Reactions: Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
haibike only makes the frame mind they just bulk buy all the parts cheap in bulk and them only so not much info anyway on replacement parts.

they just expect you replace the hole wheel imo.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

robotron

Mar 26, 2019
I can confirm that if you have a 2018 Haibike SDuro Hardseven 4.0 (27.5") and need a freehub, you should buy one of these:

Based on the spec of my bike, my rear wheel is:

Wheelset:
Cassette:

The part even comes with an 11mm socket so you can fit it. Easy peasy, apart from having to adjust the cone bearings a few times before I got it spot on with no wheel wobble.

Haibike don't make it easy to find replacement parts with their "own brand" hub naming.
Between them and the bike shop I bought it from I'm still waiting for a definitive answer as to what freehub I actually need. I appreciate that the world has gone s**t shaped in the last few weeks so can cut them some slack but both responded to my original enquiry with answers that didn't actually answer anything or go anywhere.

I took it apart and took a chance with something that looked right and luckily it was.
Hope this eventually ends up useful for someone else.

Reactions: Gliggsy and Woosh

shaky411

Oct 6, 2018
I can confirm that if you have a 2018 Haibike SDuro Hardseven 4.0 (27.5") and need a freehub, you should buy one of these:

Based on the spec of my bike, my rear wheel is:

Wheelset:
Cassette:

The part even comes with an 11mm socket so you can fit it. Easy peasy, apart from having to adjust the cone bearings a few times before I got it spot on with no wheel wobble.

Haibike don't make it easy to find replacement parts with their "own brand" hub naming.
Between them and the bike shop I bought it from I'm still waiting for a definitive answer as to what freehub I actually need. I appreciate that the world has gone s**t shaped in the last few weeks so can cut them some slack but both responded to my original enquiry with answers that didn't actually answer anything or go anywhere.

I took it apart and took a chance with something that looked right and luckily it was.
Hope this eventually ends up useful for someone else.

Hi There,

Thanks so much for your post, you're a lifesaver. I have a 2018 Haibike Hardseven 2.0 and my freehub has blown a hole where the bearings sit. I have been trying to find a replacement for some time without the need to replace the entire wheel given that the only issue was the freehub which is a consumable part. I managed to purchase the same part albeit I had to order from the Amazon Germany site.

Did you manage to remove the old one easily enough? I have not attempted to remove the freehub but have all the tools for removing the cassette etc. Any tips would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Marc

Advertisers