Replace impulse 2 with bafang possible?

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal
Hi guys, I own a focus Thron, which I like a lot, but it has the impulse 2 motor on it, and I've read lot of horror stories about it.
It's got 2000km on it and it's fine, still under warranty for a few months, but I worry it may go bad.

If all goes wrong, do you think I can replace it with a bafang bb02?
Thanks

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's not possible Zalle. The BBS02 mounts in the bicycle bottom bracket, but your bike doesn't have its own bottom bracket. That's part of the Impulse motor unit so only that unit can be fitted to the special frame mount.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Now there is a business opportunity: a bolt in adaptor... I wonder if you could make one fit?

D

Deleted member 4366

It's not impossible. You could fabricate an adaptor out of a couple of plates and some tube. basically, you need to replicate the bottom bracket arrangement that a normal bike has and use the plates to connect it to the three mounting holes. I think it would work.

A new Kalkhoff motor isn't much more than a Bafang,and it's pretty straight forward to get the replacement from Germany.

https://www.kalaydo.de/kleinanzeigen/elektrofahrrad/impulse+i+und+ii+motortausch+ausserhalb+der+garantie+und+gewaehrleistung/a/a01925d9/?categoryId=1308060000&rView=list

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Advertisers