Replacement for my Specialized Turbo (hybrid)

jezf1000

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 10, 2018
Hi All,

As per the introduction thread, I’ve recently had my Turbo stolen and am looking for a replacement.

The Turbo was a rear hub driven bike and was de-restricted (as of course it was designed to be) so it enabled me to make brisk progress on my 20 mile each way commute. The office I work out of has no shower facilities so using an ebike meant I didn’t arrive in a sweaty mess.

For info, I’m a keen cyclist, up until my recent break-in had a Supersix Evo, a CAAD12 Disc and various other bikes.

Ideally I’d want to replace it with something pretty similar, but would appreciate any recommendations as the Turbo is the only ebike I’ve ever ridden. Budget is up to £2k but if I can get something for less than that it would be a bonus.

Attachments

jezf1000

Oct 10, 2018
i should add that I’m happy to buy a conversion kit if they provide a more cost effective but quality solution.

jezf1000

Oct 10, 2018
So, having done some research, I’m quite tempted to buy a hybrid (Boardman/Voodoo - lightly used possibly or new) and a bolt on kit.

The Woosh kits appear to represent decent VFM, any other recommendations for good kits? Must be torque sensing and stand up to what I’ve had before in terms of riding experience. I do have hills on my commute, over the Sussex Weald and South Downs each way.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Ideally I’d want to replace it with something pretty similar, but would appreciate any recommendations as the Turbo is the only ebike I’ve ever ridden. Budget is up to £2k but if I can get something for less than that it would be a bonus.
Can you define what you mean by 'pretty similar' ?

If its the bike I'm thinking of - the very nice, high end components, torque sensing s-pedelec hub drive model, then wasn't that initially a $5-6K price tag?

'pretty similar' therefore means something like another Specialized turbo, or if they are no longer available, maybe a Stromer.

I'm afraid £2K isn't going to get you something 'pretty similar' In that case :(

jezf1000

Oct 10, 2018
Thanks for the reply. My bike was originally £3k but then Spech reduced them to £2k and I actually paid £1400 for a bike from a friend that had been used three times. I realise I was fortunate.

Spec wise, the bike had Formula hydrolic disks (not recommended - they are crap!) and SRAM X9 1x10 but it certainly wasn’t perfect, it had cheap hubs and the gearing meant it struggled on steep hills. However to ride the bike felt superb, stiff, comfortable with different tyres (Conti’s) and the power was totally seemless.

What I don’t know is how conversion kits compare?

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Thanks for the reply. My bike was originally £3k but then Spech reduced them to £2k and I actually paid £1400 for a bike from a friend that had been used three times. I realise I was fortunate.
A tad of an understatement, methinks ;)

to ride the bike felt superb, stiff, comfortable with different tyres (Conti’s) and the power was totally seemless.

What I don’t know is how conversion kits compare?
You have already described the problem. You lucked out on a very well put together bike. An unrestricted, high quality hub drive, torque sensor based system will indeed give an extremely natural, seamless, 'normal' bike feel and response. Its you. Only faster! LOL.

Be prepared to have to recondition your brain as to how you ride, or get ready for the possibility of a big disappointment.
Its not that all other types of bikes are bad per se, but if you're a keen, non powered cyclist as well, then a vast proportion of the e-bikes out there probably won't feel as 'natural' as the Specialized turbo, so make sure you do your research as to the differences before you buy anything.
And note that a lot of people with e-bikes actively seek out options that do NOT feel like a normal, self propelled model !! so bear that in mind when receiving opinion or advice. That's why I asked what you were looking for in terms of 'similar' features/feel.

jezf1000

Oct 10, 2018
Ok - really appreciate your thoughts.

Sounds like I might possibly have to consider a similar replacement then! I’m going to bide my time anyway as there is always a possibility that the bike may turn up - I have the frame no registered etc.