Help! Riding Position Help Please

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
As many will know, my first foray into ebiking (and biking in general) was the MiRider. I always felt I was sliding forward on the saddle but was easily overcome by raising the handlebar. My Pinnacle is a full frame hybrid so I don’t have the option to raise the handlebar.

The issue seems to be that I can’t set my saddle to horizontal or, heaven forbid, slightly nose up so I’m sliding forward. It’s not helped by the fact that the wide comfort saddle rails always seem to favour a nose down orientation.

I’m now feeling the pressure on my arms and wrists as I’m trying to hold a fat lad back in the saddle as well as controlling the bike.

Any ideas please ?

a very bad pic of my seat post (detached and upside down) is attached.

921EAF22-B819-44A2-86CE-DC3DAD71D00F.jpeg

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Hi, not easy to tell from your photo but it looks like you should be able to tilt the saddle if you loosen the 2 black bolts holding the seat in position - bolts are in front & behnd the seatpost.
No need to remove them, just undo both (something like, not critical) 2 full turns, put the bike on it's wheels so there's no pressure on the saddle, then press the rear of the saddle down at the same time as lifting the front of the saddle up. You might need to jiggle it to get any movement.
The 2 bolts you've undone lock a semi-cricular pivot, when loosened the saddle can pivot up or down. When done, tighten the bolts again to lock the position.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
You have options:
As said above, why can't you raise the bars?
You could fit a handlebar stem extension.
You could fit riser/swept handlebars such as onone Mary bars. These give a rise and a sweep back so that your hands rest at a more natural angle giving less strain on the weists. \9this assumes that your current bars are straight).

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
I‘m going to have another go at adjusting the saddle again although the front bolt is currently at the limit in terms of how far it interacts with the barrel nut holding the clamp in place. I’m think of reverting to the original seat and getting a gel cover.

The adjustable riser is a good suggestion and I’ve been mulling this over. Not a huge amount of money and it would definitely help with hopefully finding a more comfortable position. The downside is that I don’t want to extend the reach too much as I’m on the short side.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Are you sure that you know how to adjust this type of saddle clamp?
You say that the bolt is near the limit, both bolts should be equally engaged, the clamp rests on serrations and you need to loosen the bolts sufficiently to be able to move the clamp to a suitable serration.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Are you sure that you know how to adjust this type of saddle clamp?
You say that the bolt is near the limit, both bolts should be equally engaged, the clamp rests on serrations and you need to loosen the bolts sufficiently to be able to move the clamp to a suitable serration.
Mike I’m afraid you’re thinking of the wrong type of clamp.
Rob’s clamp doesn’t have a serrated part, it has a solid top clamp plate and a smooth floating bottom plate. The two clamp screws adjust the angle of the saddle, as you tighten up one screw, you loosen the other to achieve the desired saddle angle. Unfortunately Rob has reached the limit of adjustment and its still not enough.
Rob, it’s worth looking for a seat post With a different type of clamp, possible second hand from eBay, you’ll need to know the diameter of the post you have in order to get one of the same size.

Scruffydroid

Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2020
Rob

You need to go to your local bike shop, and have your sit-bones measured. This will give the distance between them which will determine what size saddle you need. Don't guess, since this is what causes more saddle discomfort than anything else. You can't adjust something which starts of at the wrong size.

The initial adjustment of the saddle angle is horizontal to the ground. The fore and aft position is determined when you are sitting on the bike (someone needs to hold the bike upright whilst you are sitting on it with you get on the pedals). It is the angle of your lower leg extended to the pedal.

The angle and height of the bar is also important. A high bar is great when going downhill, and a low bar is great when climbing.

Seat height, angle, position, as well as handlebar height, angle and position (pedal height you can be ignored unless you are riding a bike which is a frame size too large) all factor in a triangular geometry which determine your comfort and pedalling efficiency. On an E-Bike you can compromise some pedalling efficiency in return for greater comfort (hence the pedal assist!).

Your LBS (not necessarily one starting with "H" - their bike experts are often not always experts...). Try the local bike shop run by its owner. o_O