ROADS OR THE LACK OF THEM

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
I have to be honest that when I travel into the netherlands, belgium, germany or even france it is really easy to notice how much better they are at maintaining stuff(have already been in all 4 since the new year). When our councils/services can get away with excuses like "yeah but it was cold this winter so we didn't do as well as we should" or "oh noes the storm be coming" then how can you expect them to take the jobs they do seriously. When I was in germany on the 1st it was 1c in Koln and we had been meeting germans from east germany saying it was warm and had been -15c in parts and would be minus numbers till April. Strangely none of the roads looked bombed out and flooded which had suprised me as my local councils excuses made me think it would be all mud tracks as road building is impossible in any conditions that aren't as good as the tea room.

Reactions: berkobennie

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have to be honest that when I travel into the netherlands, belgium, germany or even france it is really easy to notice how much better they are at maintaining stuff
The reason we are not so good is as I always point out, they are not pretending to be world powers at the top table.

Britain's pretext to be on a par with the world's leading nations is bought with nuclear missile submarines like Trident, a nuclear weapon stockpile, aircraft carriers, internationally remote controlled drones and expensive wars on other nations.

All bought with vast sums of our money which should have been spent at home.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I have to be honest that when I travel into the netherlands, belgium, germany or even france it is really easy to notice how much better they are at maintaining stuff(have already been in all 4 since the new year). When our councils/services can get away with excuses like "yeah but it was cold this winter so we didn't do as well as we should" or "oh noes the storm be coming" then how can you expect them to take the jobs they do seriously. When I was in germany on the 1st it was 1c in Koln and we had been meeting germans from east germany saying it was warm and had been -15c in parts and would be minus numbers till April. Strangely none of the roads looked bombed out and flooded which had suprised me as my local councils excuses made me think it would be all mud tracks as road building is impossible in any conditions that aren't as good as the tea room.
Of course, the maritime climate of these islands has meant that for well over a century of modern road-making, the local authorities have been able to get away with cheaper and sometimes downright shoddy methods of road laying and repair, only brought to light when heavier traffic and/ or more severe winters come along.
On the continent, especially the Germanic/Eastern corridor, they are well used to much more savage winter conditions and construct roads accordingly.

Lakeland

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
"Backhand Britain" with its greedy councillors/politicians/bankers etc and our questionable government policies of cost cutting regarding the maintenance of our infrastructure which is then undertaken by our negligible council authorities may play a part in not maintaining the upkeep or construction of descent roads and paths ...some of the potholes around were i cycle require me carrying ropes and karabiners. :mad:

Reactions: mike killay

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
Well to day i saw it all. taken the wife to work at 7.30am i go along a road that i cycle on often. i once counted the pot holes on a half mile stretch while cycling 42 was the count, This morn 5 council vans traffic lights porta loo the works, good the roads getting sorted. On the way to pick her up at 4.30pm the council have gone,ONE small pott hole filled in.the other 41 left as is. no wonder the council have no money.:mad:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well to day i saw it all. taken the wife to work at 7.30am i go along a road that i cycle on often. i once counted the pot holes on a half mile stretch while cycling 42 was the count, This morn 5 council vans traffic lights porta loo the works, good the roads getting sorted. On the way to pick her up at 4.30pm the council have gone,ONE small pott hole filled in.the other 41 left as is. no wonder the council have no money.:mad:
Be patient, in another 40 days they'll be finished! ;)

Reactions: Lakeland and john h

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
Well today i passed along the so called repaired road ,:( still no sing of any more repairs in fact the repair ended more of a bump than the rest , now 2 days later the repair is concave i give it one week and pot hole will be no42 again,:eek:

Reactions: neptune

Advertisers