Robberage!

snowywhite21

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 18, 2021
Hi everyone

I'm looking at trying to install a permanent, well stashed tracker on my eBike.
Trying to avoid the SIM/Sub and USB charging problems and been looking at OCTO type (sub/SIM free) alternatives that cars have and accordinly they are all 12v, but I only have 5v power outlets on my eBike controller, so if I use a 12v one it may end up as toast? Looked for 5v with battery backup alternatives, but no joy :( Any suggestions greatly appreciated...

Best to y'all

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Not entirely sure of your circumstances and needs, but Apple AirTags just use a CR2035 lithium cell which requires replacement once a year and they are pretty small.

If it is finding where the bike is, they might suffice.

Reactions: artspeck

snowywhite21

May 18, 2021
Not entirely sure of your circumstances and needs, but Apple AirTags just use a CR2035 lithium cell which requires replacement once a year and they are pretty small.

If it is finding where the bike is, they might suffice.
Thanks! I'll check them out..

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and Scorpio

snowywhite21

May 18, 2021
Thanks, I'll get one from Curry's and see how it goes. I've still been looking for a 5v (6-60v)?? permanent telematics type tracker. That way it would be permanently active if attached to the bike battery. In the 12v variety, they also come with battery backup, so it would still work if disconnected. Surprising nobody makes them??

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
That is professional quality cutting & stitching!
It wasn't me wot dun it! Partner is into such things and sells patterns on Etsy. That was a near-"production" test/sample. If you have a Brother ScanNCut (or a Cricut, possibly some other such machines), the pattern can be used to cut out the leather, including sewing holes. Obviously, even with a machine, there are many ways of making them better or worse.

Sad thing, I usually have a "man bag" to carry my crap around and it is in a zippered pocket so never gets seen! It seems silly to leave it unprotected on the outside.

You can look here:
https://www.etsy.com/uk/SewStitchMeDesigns/listing/1000164054/

If you (or anyone else) are in the UK, she would be willing to consider making one for you - contact through Etsy. This is strictly hobby level! :)

Last edited:

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
  • Informative