Roll over Bethoven.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I am not much of a fan of classical music, but you`ve got to see this. If you are not moved by this, check to see if you are still alive, Notice the joy on the faces of people, even the children.

PS. I still think we should get out of the EU!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Brilliant! There can hardly be a better way to introduce classical music to the young and increase it's popularity, than bringing it to the streets.

But I am a classical music fan, also a strong supporter of the European project and a harsh critic of Britain's attitude to the EU.

Thanks for posting this Neptune.

Last edited:
Reactions: neptune

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Hi flecc.I know you are a classical music lover, and a fan of the EU. As I have said before, I cannot share your views, but that does not mean that I cannot respect them. Thanks, incidentally for implying that I am young! [tongue in cheek comment]To me, the great thing about this performance is that it is live, and is made to look spontaneous, although it is obviously rehearsed. The downside is that it has already given me an earworm, and I have been playing part of it on my fiddle!

Incidentally, what are the people singing, and in what language?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think they are singing in German, though this could be filmed in Austria.

The Ode to Joy theme from Beethovens ninth symphony has been put to words more then once, but with roughly the words of a poem by Schiller form the anthem of the EU.

Here's Schiller's original words which Beethoven knew, in both German and English on this link but the EU version differs somewhat and is on this link, scroll down to see them. I've no doubt that's what's being sung here.

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
An all because some kid put a shilling in the hat.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I have always been into music of one kind or another, but just lately, I have been thinking about it a lot, probably the result of trying to learn to play the fiddle. Just imagine if you were talking to a visitor from another planet, a planet where music did not exist. Suddenly music starts playing on the radio, and the visitor says "What is that noise, what is it for?"

You could reply that the purpose of music is to give people pleasure. But it is not that simple. Most of the things that give us pleasure exist as part of a survival mechanism. The purposes of having sex, or eating and drinking are obvious. Some people enjoy exercise, but it has health benefits. Music alone amongst our pleasures seems to serve no purpose other than pleasure.

And there are other things that are odd about music. Much western music is based on the eight note scale. But in a way, the five note scale is more universal. Known as the pentatonic or blues scale, it seems to have been discovered or invented in civilisations that are widely separated and have no communication between each other. It is a "free sort of scale, in that you can play it over a chord progression, and you can play the notes in any random order, and it will still sound "right" or melodic. Hence the "blues solo".

In a sense music is the universal language. During World War Two, the song "Lily Marlene" was a popular song with both the Axis powers and the Allies.
Some religions embrace music, and some forbid it. Even the mathematics behind music are weird. When a technician tunes a piano, he carefully tunes it to a mathematical formula. He then puts it slightly out of tune by a set amount. This is called tempering.

So let us all enjoy whatever music we choose. No one type of music is "better" than any other . If you enjoy it, it is serving its purpose.

Last edited:
Reactions: john h and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So let us all enjoy whatever music we choose. No one type of music is "better" than any other . If you enjoy it, it is serving its purpose.
I agree, so long as the performance is for those wanting it.

Sadly some kinds of music seem to have fans who insist on inflicting it on others, often at high volume for protracted periods.

Reactions: john h and neptune

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I have always been into music of one kind or another, but just lately, I have been thinking about it a lot, probably the result of trying to learn to play the fiddle. Just imagine if you were talking to a visitor from another planet, a planet where music did not exist. Suddenly music starts playing on the radio, and the visitor says "What is that noise, what is it for?"

You could reply that the purpose of music is to give people pleasure. But it is not that simple. Most of the things that give us pleasure exist as part of a survival mechanism. The purposes of having sex, or eating and drinking are obvious. Some people enjoy exercise, but it has health benefits. Music alone amongst our pleasures seems to serve no purpose other than pleasure.

And there are other things that are odd about music. Much western music is based on the eight note scale. But in a way, the five note scale is more universal. Known as the pentatonic or blues scale, it seems to have been discovered or invented in civilisations that are widely separated and have no communication between each other. It is a "free sort of scale, in that you can play it over a chord progression, and you can play the notes in any random order, and it will still sound "right" or melodic. Hence the "blues solo".

In a sense music is the universal language. During World War Two, the son "Lily Marlene" was a popular song with both the Axis powers and the Allies.
Some religions embrace music, and some forbid it. Even the mathematics behind music are weird. When a technician tunes a piano, he carefully tunes it to a mathematical formula. He then puts it slightly out of tune by a set amount. This is called tempering.

Someone, I can't remember who, once said that "Music is the pleasure of counting without thinking" (or something similar).

It's true for me. Obviously there's the beat, but also the intervals of the notes in the melody, harmonies, percussion, arrangement etc. It's all happening at the same time, yet the human brain can keep track of it all at once.

The brain can even fill in the missing bits and imagine that they happened, even back in time. A good example of this is the classic rock n roll (4/4) intro "...2,3,4".

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
He then puts it slightly out of tune by a set amount. This is called tempering.

That would explain my perfect pitch, it's been well tempered.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Ode to Joy is standing the test of time well.

Shame to see it hijacked by anyone, least of all Euro federalists.

I wonder what Beethoven would have made of it?

Like many classical composers, Beethoven wrote for money, so it could be he would have been concerned only with getting the royalties.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ode to Joy is standing the test of time well.

Shame to see it hijacked by anyone, least of all Euro federalists.

I wonder what Beethoven would have made of it?

Like many classical composers, Beethoven wrote for money, so it could be he would have been concerned only with getting the royalties.
I'm quite sure Beethoven would have approved of his music assisting the European project, given his German birth, Dutch family background and interests and connections in Austria and other European countries.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Brilliant stirring stuff, a day for those present not to forget. When at work driving my delivery van Classic FM is the only station I listen to.
One of my fav's is Cataturion's Adagio of Spartacus and Phrgya.
Sorry if spelling is wrong.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No problem Neal, Aram Ily'ich Khachaturian's name is probably the most often wrongly spelt of all classical composers. It's something I can associate with since my awkward surname is also spelt wrongly far more often than correctly.

Given the immense variety of names we now have in Britain following recent immigration, mis-spelling is something we'll all be guilty of at times. Sri Lankan names I find especially difficult, how can one cope with such as Varnakulasuriya, Liyanaarachchiralalage, Manamarakkalage and Wickramasuriya. :(

You can preview or obtain your favourite piece fourth down on this Classic FM webpage

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I'm quite sure Beethoven would have approved of his music assisting the European project.
Huge assumption which has every chance of being entirely incorrect.

I think even the term 'European Project' is creepy and despicable.

If Beethoven were alive today, and if he were pro EU, I'm afraid my CDs of his work would be heading for the dustbin.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I was tempted to comment on the European Project, but have said plenty on other threads, so instead I want to say something about Beethoven. I am reminded of a Benny Hill sketch which was a spoof of Mastermind.Benny was the question Master.

Benny. "what was Beethoven doing in the year 1828?

Contestant [played by the little bald guy] Composing?

Benny. He died the previous year. He was decomposing...

Flecc talked about "unwanted" music. I once had a family next door who played loud music at unearthly hours. Definitely not pleasurable. Then there is the situation of being stuck in traffic next to a car which has music so loud you cant hear yourself think, and there is no escape.

I read about a block of flats where they had a problem with teenagers causing a nuisance by gathering in the communal lobby. They planned to solve the problem by installing a sound system and playing classical music all the time. I often wondered if they then had problems with drunken pensioners holding rowdy gatherings in there! Just kidding..

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
unwanted music , i have that every time a small person comes to stay she calls it rap i call it crap,she insists on it louder,:eek: i insist on it quieter, :confused:she wins. 2 against one you see, even the dog in my house is a bitch, thank god for a shed:D love them to bits though:rolleyes:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Rap is not music.
It's the only crime for which the death penalty is appropriate.

Advertisers