Route / Trail Apps Do you use them?

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Hi All,
Wasn't sure which forum category but I guess this is as good as any.

Before I sadly lost my wife a few years ago we used to spend our holidays walking and cycling around the local area learning local history etc. Our weapon of choice for directions, Route logging etc was the "Viewranger" phone app. This was recently absorbed into the "OutdoorActive" environment. I preferred the Viewranger app and with it's demise looked for alternatives as it's replacement just didn't feel quite as friendly to me. Viewranger still works fine but no ability to download new detailed map regions anymore. :(

I started using the "Komoot" app which seems pretty good but more recently I've spent more time with the "Outdooractive" app again and I'm leaning towards using it as my "Go To" resource as it seems to follow routes with more accuracy than Komoot and allows me to plan route sections Komoot simply will not let me include. (I know they are valid having used them previously).

99% of my trips are unpaved paths, forest fire roads etc avoiding traffic as much as possible. (and people - I'm an unsociable bugger). It's unlikely any of my trips in the future will be outside the UK

Just wondering what apps others use, or do you just jump on, ride and make it up as you go?

Thanks in advance

TTFN
John.

ChuckingFeet

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2019
Derby
Personally , being an antediluvian dinosaur in this area , I prefer O.S.maps . Have just sussed out that I have been using them for over 50 years ....

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Nothing wrong with maps, I usually use the OS map as default on my display. Only differences are mine doesn't get wet when it rains and it's easier read and pack away in strong winds. (Mind you I'm stuffed if my phone fails). ;) I still have a road atlas in the car in case of SatNav failures. :)

TTFN
John.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Some discussion here:

Advertisers