Discovering the joy of electric + route-planning app?

MonsterMunch

Just Joined
Jul 20, 2020
Hi All,

Just wanted to say hello and thank you to the members in this community! I'd been toying with the idea of getting an e-bike for a long time, and I've read a lot of helpful advice and reviews on this site - it convinced me to take the plunge and treat myself to a Cannondale Synapse Neo 2!

The bike frame is a touch too large for me (or, more likely, I'm not flexible enough!), but I took it out for a 30 mile spin the other week with some cycling friends and WOW! Normally I don't join them because my fitness and leg strength struggles to keep up with them, but this time round I was the one waiting at the top of hills! It was such a joy to go for a ride again and not have to worry about holding them up (not they ever make me feel bad, but it's always been a paranoia of mine)!

I'm hoping to sell my bike and replace it with a more appropriate size (for me), after which I will be out and about a lot more - I can't wait to explore again! And it will be my primary commuting vehicle once I return to the office. I feel like a whole new world has opened up to me.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an app or a website that helps plan routes specifically for bicycles? I normally use Google Maps, but it's not brilliant for bike routes. A friend recommended Kamoot, but curious to know what other recommend.

Reactions: Edward Elizabeth

Jimmeh

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 27, 2020
I’ve just started using Kamoot and I am impressed so far even though all the emails they send me are in German and it keeps trying to get me to ride my ebike through a 2ft deep ford.

I also like mapometer and in a pinch I’ll also use gmaps-pedometer (aka milermeter).

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I’ve been using Komoot free for years, mostly for recording my journeys but occasionally to plan a route. I get very few emails (less than 1 a week) and they are always in English. It’s sometimes difficult to tell the difference between a footpath and a cycle path or byway but if I’m unsure I will check it against an OS map.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I use Viewranger and/or Komoot for planning routes online before setting off, both are good. I find Komoot has a better selections of local routes/places of interest posted by other users.

MonsterMunch

Just Joined
Jul 20, 2020
Thanks very much guys! I do like Kamoot so far, but just finding it a bit fiddly (I've only used it on mobile though, maybe a desktop would be easier). Will check out Mapometer and Viewranger too - thanks for the tips!

Emanresu

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2019
I'm a fan of RidewithGPS. You can plan offline and download the route to your phone for offline use.

If you are particularly bad at offline planning and find out a route has a number of styles to get your eMTB over, then there you can re-route on your phone when you have a mobile signal.

Or don't plan offline. Just take to the road and route yourself back home later.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I tried Kamoot last night and plotted a 60 mile ride to and from the South Downs with 20+ miles of off road downs riding I and was suitably impressed with it, it is so much better then the Garmin course plotting I have given up on. I saved the course now I need to see how easy it is to down load to my Garmin GPS.

FatBob

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2020
Greater Manchester
I notice there's quite a bit of variation with route planners on details such as gradients. I suppose not too much of an issue with pedelecs.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Have installed Kamoot and getting to find my way round. I just did a simple short walking tour around my local streets (about a mile at most) only to test the navigation.
Particularly one aspect. Has anyone been able to play other audio (eg Music) and then have the navigation voice cut in between the music as needed?
I tried this but feels like Kamoot keeps over riding the Bluetooth (am using ear buds) and completely stopping the player app, so cannot listen to music while I walk.
Unless I am missing a setting somewhere that will enable this?