S class bikes spreading more widely

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yeah well... I exchanged mails with the guy who does individual vehicule inspections today. He told me "not competent for bikes you will have to go to Paris". And we have this bastard (in the literal sense) 168/2013 which comes into effect on 1st of January 2016 which alows the motor to be up to 1 KW but speed is still limited to 25 kph.

So he doesn't want to give me a moped inspection. And we have to wait untill 2017 for s-pedelecs... And what will be the helmet requirements for that when it gets here? flecc can you pm me the text for the French bit or a link to it, French will be fine ;)

Tomorrow I will sugest to him that I want to import a s-pedelec from Germany and that I want him to inspect it so that I can get a number plate.:rolleyes:

Tony

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I read that earlier on I love this quote "The company says that, "It is also notable that on average, much longer distances are being traveled with a speed e-bike than with "regular" e-bikes."" Yeah well did you go to university to figure that all by your little self?

WTF do they think we want a bike for? Bleeding marketing geniuses...

Tony

Reactions: SRS

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
And we have this bastard (in the literal sense) 168/2013 which comes into effect on 1st of January 2016 which alows the motor to be up to 1 KW but speed is still limited to 25 kph.
Which section of 168/2013 says that? I looked but it's 79 double pages, ctrl+f didn't help. Thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Which section of 168/2013 says that? I looked but it's 79 double pages, ctrl+f didn't help. Thanks
Maybe a misunderstanding. That type approved 1000 watts, 25 kph class is the Low Powered Moped class, L1e-A. These can be cycle style.

The full moped class which permits 45 kph and which the scooter style machines fit is L1e-B.

The 45 kph S class Speed Pedelecs are an in-between case and I don't know how they are classified, but they seem to be just a faster version of L1e-A.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Here we go, long read.:D

L1e is where the French put what you are calling a moped (49cc scooters, electric scooters limited to 45 kph, s-pedelec) everything else will go in the subcategories after 2015. BUT you have to wear a motorcycle helmet and we all know that you CAN NOT pedal with a motorcycle helmet on your head... That law killed all those lovely French Mobylettes. Collecters do ride them with '50s bowl type helmets and negociate with the police when stopped...

Sub-categories:

L1e-A they call "vélo à moteur" 25 kph limit, 1000W, throttle is not banned from my reading, in any case not mentionned
L1e-B they call "Cyclomoteur à deux roues" which is a véhicule that does not fit in one or several of the criteria of L1e-A.
9. tout autre véhicule de catégorie L1e qui ne peut être classé en fonction des critères 9 à 12 d'un véhicule L1e-A
So s-pedelec in France is in L1e for the moment = motorcycle helmet. There would have to be a push to have it classed as a L1e-B and write up a law so that e-bike helmets could be worn.

I am going to continue my dialogue with the vehicule inspection guy. The strategy is to present a 750W 8fun BB equiped bike with the top speed limited to 25 kph on the LCD to be accepted as L1e-A. If L1e-B commes into force for S-pedelecs with decent helmet laws pass the inspection again with the speed bumped up to 45 kph. In the meantime ride illegal - hey just like the kids on kitted L1e's, the other day I followed a charming young lady on a scooter, she was topping out at 65 kph. A 135€ fine if caught.

Before all that I have a normal legal pedelec to build!

Tony

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
L1e-A they call "vélo à moteur" 25 kph limit, 1000W, throttle is not banned from my reading, in any case not mentionned
Tony
I've been looking for cases where the use of the throttle in Europe would attract a fine. It could well be that a generally type approved thumb throttle could be later fitted to all brands of bikes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Here we go, long read.:D
Yes, I completely knew all that first half of your post Tony, both current and new EU law on those classes.

And as I said, the S class will be somewhere in between. Germany has obviously legislated appropriately long ago, also introducing a further refinement in 2013, and now The Netherlands has legislated for the S class too, with some apparent slight differences though. No doubt France will also have it's own ideas on the subject, it usually does ;).

Meanwhile the DfT here in the UK has only one idea, a stern General de Gaullean "Non" to any easing.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Has anyone tried the Cratoni Vigor s-pedelec helmet? 700-800 grams (sorry flecc...) is less than half the weight of my Bell motorcycle helmet which is very light and comfy (on a motorbike).

Tony

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Has anyone tried the Cratoni Vigor s-pedelec helmet? 700-800 grams (sorry flecc...) is less than half the weight of my Bell motorcycle helmet which is very light and comfy (on a motorbike).

Tony
No problem, that's technical. ;)

25 to 28 ozs would have been nice though! :p

Advertisers