Sabvoton 150a controller problem help

Cam3roon2k41999

Pedelecer
May 1, 2020
Hi, I received my 150a sabvoton controller and I connected it all up and ran the hall angle test and all went smoothly and fine, for some reason when I apply allot of throttle from standstill and when I reach about 10-15mph quickly, all the power cuts out and I need to disconnect and reconnect the battery, what could this be?
I have changed the DC output on the controller to 60a and 70a boost, the battery I am using is 60v but fully charges at 71.4v and the BMS has 90a continuous I think.
Also theres a setting called overvolt and it's set to 96v could that also be causing the problem? Thanks for the replys:)

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Hi, I received my 150a sabvoton controller and I connected it all up and ran the hall angle test and all went smoothly and fine, for some reason when I apply allot of throttle from standstill and when I reach about 10-15mph quickly, all the power cuts out and I need to disconnect and reconnect the battery, what could this be?
I have changed the DC output on the controller to 60a and 70a boost, the battery I am using is 60v but fully charges at 71.4v and the BMS has 90a continuous I think.
Also theres a setting called overvolt and it's set to 96v could that also be causing the problem? Thanks for the replys:)
You don't say what the amperage (not amp hours) rating of the battery is. I suspect it is not enough for that kind of punishment.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
25ah (amp hours) is the capacity of the battery, that is the total amps it can deliver over time. Relevant here though is how quickly it can deliver that current (amps). The controller can ask for 60a or 70a, but very few batteries can deliver that. 60a at 60v is 3600w, more than a three bar electric heater.

The current rating may be stamped on the battery, or you may be able to find the specs online. Just looking at an arbitrary one (link below) it claims 90a maximum instantaneous discharge current, but only 30a maximum continuous discharge current.

Cam3roon2k41999

Pedelecer
May 1, 2020
25ah (amp hours) is the capacity of the battery, that is the total amps it can deliver over time. Relevant here though is how quickly it can deliver that current (amps). The controller can ask for 60a or 70a, but very few batteries can deliver that. 60a at 60v is 3600w, more than a three bar electric heater.

The current rating may be stamped on the battery, or you may be able to find the specs online. Just looking at an arbitrary one (link below) it claims 90a maximum instantaneous discharge current, but only 30a maximum continuous discharge current.

Hi, I found my exact battery online lol
I've attached a pic, so what DC current and boost current should I set on the controller as I want to get the max potential out the battery without it blowing up lmao thanks

Attachments

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
That battery has better current rating than the one I mentioned; 100a peak, 50a continuous. (sometimes the rated figures are a bit optimistic though).

If you set the currents both to 40a you should certainly be ok, and it will help the batter last longer too. You can probably get away with boost current of 60a or more. BUT I'm not as familiar with details as nealh, vfr100 and others so hopefully they will give a more definitive answer to your question.

(In future, It would be better to post the web address than the screenshots; copy the address from the top bar on the browser and paste into your post. Those screen shots are clear enough for now though, especially the second.)

Cam3roon2k41999

Pedelecer
May 1, 2020
That battery has better current rating than the one I mentioned; 100a peak, 50a continuous. (sometimes the rated figures are a bit optimistic though).

If you set the currents both to 40a you should certainly be ok, and it will help the batter last longer too. You can probably get away with boost current of 60a or more. BUT I'm not as familiar with details as nealh, vfr100 and others so hopefully they will give a more definitive answer to your question.

(In future, It would be better to post the web address than the screenshots; copy the address from the top bar on the browser and paste into your post. Those screen shots are clear enough for now though, especially the second.)
Thank you for you're help I appreciate it, I'll change the settings shortly, also do you know what over volt is on the sabvoton app it was set at 96 but I've changed it to 72 if that effects anything?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Thank you for you're help I appreciate it, I'll change the settings shortly, also do you know what over volt is on the sabvoton app it was set at 96 but I've changed it to 72 if that effects anything?
Not sure about overvolt, but 72 sounds reasonable. There is probably a low voltage cutout setting as well, that should be somewhere around 50v. Probably best to set it a bit higher (54v???) until someone more expert advises.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
As suggested to you before, you will get more help with setting up this controller on Endless Sphere where there are guys who play with this higher power stuff. Playing around with settings on these high power controllers without knowing what you are doing, you run the risk of frying it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Here's the other pic
Battery can only deliver 50a max continuously, the 100a over current is a temporary measure for 5 - 10 seconds then it will cut out if the actual current demand is high.
For battery longevity 40a continuous current draw would be better so controller values need adjusting.