Aug 17, 2006
Reviewer: Simon

Retailer: Sakura Battery Company Project-Sakura

Purchase Price: £1,095

Time Owned: 5 days

Terrain: Some minor hills

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths:
I received my S50 5 days ago. It's AMAZING! It has exceeded my expectations in many ways. I travel to work (11.9 miles) and back again every day on it. The roads are mainly flat from mine to the West End of London where I work with only a couple of hill climbs. I ride it fairly defensively and am as conservative as I can be on the throttle.

I have managed on a full battery charge to do the return journey without even touching the yellow on the battery indicator. Apparently when it hits the yellow I should place the bike into the lower speed setting to ensure I get an additional 5 miles out of the journey. By my reckoning I should be able to get around 30 miles out of a full charge!! Of course, I suppose there are many factors to consider; I am 10 stone and not constantly on the breaks or fiercely hitting the throttle. I can also get it up to 40mph on flat roads which is the greatest bonus as it s advertised as having atop speed of 30mph. So all is good so far!

Last night I travelled to work then charged the battery for 3 hours which was enough to bring the battery back to a full charge. I did my return journey and arrived at home still with the needle indicating a full battery!!!

It s very easy to operate although when I received it I slightly damaged it. I was stationary and off the bike, holding it upright when I lost my grip. The bike rolled onto its side. It s heavier than I expected and it scuffed the side panel which was protecting the speed changer. This in turn snapped the mechanism to change from lower speed to higher speed. However, thanks to the amazing service offered by my supplier, I was talked through how to temporarily fix the problem over the phone. In minutes I was riding it again with no problems and it s being fixed today at no extra charge even though it was my fault. I bought the bike directly from the importers the Sakura Battery Company Project-Sakura and they couldn t be more helpful.

Weaknesses:
It's silent so watch out for pedestrians! Otherwise no weaknesses :)

Summary:
Everyone I have shown has been amazed at it. It looks just like a regular sporty moped but without an exhaust. It's silent so you need to ride it very defensively and watch out for pedestrians stepping out into the road. No tax, no congestion charge, no charge for parking and Westminster Council run a scheme for electric vehicles so I can charge it on their streets for no cost! I would recommend this bike to anyone. It s cute, cheap to buy and to run and I even pull away from lights faster than most small cars!!!!

Overall Rating: 10