Same bosch motor, different performance

Sunstoner

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 29, 2020
Hi all

A couple of weeks ago, I replaced my Haibike Hardseven hardtail with a 2021 Haibike full sus allmtn model. Theyre both powered by the same Bosch Gen 4 CX performance motor with the 85nm power.

Having put nearly 60 miles on my new bike im noticing what feels like a noticable drop in power or 'grunt' over the hardtail.

My hardtail felt particularly punchy no matter what mode, where my new full sus needs a little more work in each mode. Its not dramatic but id say it feels as much as 10-15% .

Its been suggested that a full sus bike does lose some performance because of its extra moving parts. I can accept that, it makes sense but to me it feels a bigger reduction than id expect.

The hardtail was incredibly punchy overland and despite the better capabilities of the newer bike bombing over rutted ground it definitely requires me to push more.

As I say, its not a dramatic difference but enough for me to question it.

Anyone experience the same?

Is it something I need to mention to my LBS?

Cheers in advance.

Ste

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
a hard tail is going to be 2-3 kilos lighter than a fs bike

Reactions: Sunstoner

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
replace what you can with carbon fiber and go tubeless if not already and put about 260psi in the rear shock.

tyres can also be changed for lighter ones as my =super gravity tyres are 1.2kg each.

Sunstoner

Sep 29, 2020
replace what you can with carbon fiber and go tubeless if not already and put about 260psi in the rear shock.

tyres can also be changed for lighter ones as my =super gravity tyres are 1.2kg each.
Ive gone tubeless. I suppose if I lost 2kg?! ;)

Do u think 2kg can make that much difference to a 85nm motor?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
all you can do is make it as light as you can and stick a dongle on it to remove the speed limit.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Have you got the same software version in Both bikes?
I had a update in my Bosch ALP motor and it had a noticeable change in performance.

Sunstoner

Sep 29, 2020
Have you got the same software version in Both bikes?
I had a update in my Bosch ALP motor and it had a noticeable change in performance.
Yeah checked that. Although i cant verify the SW version on my prev bike as its gone now, my new bike has the latest SW version according to the bosch site.

I had wondered if having the SW reflashed might help. Although i cant see why it would tbh

Sunstoner

Sep 29, 2020
Isn't the latest SW supposed to up the torque to 90 or 95?
Its 85nm. It was originally 75 until last spring/ summer when an update was released.

I could do with another 10nm for the shortfall in grunt on my new full sus bike. ;)

Related Articles

Advertisers