Schumacher's Helmet

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not head banging, I've been quietly amused by this discussion for a while now, it's the way all the helmet threads end up.

It's a proxy subject (yes, the "r" should be there). Basically two pro helmet wearing members are arguing against two anti-compulsion members via the proxy of the claimed knowledge of A & E staff.

Whatever the form of pro helmet advantage arguing, it's always seen as exaggeration by the other side, so the fight is on!

Being on the anti side I always feel smug, knowing as I do that there will never be compulsion in my lifetime, either in the UK or mainland Europe.

Anyway, if A & E advances are so brilliant, shouldn't they be at least B & F by now, or even C & G. :p

Reactions: mike killay

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand
is that with a helmet or not?
You'll notice I didn't say;)!

Here in NZ, helmets ARE compulsory.

I dunno if the UK is like this (I know the US isn't;)), but we have ACC (Accident Compensation Corporation) which is a Government Agency that is basically Medical Expense insurance for accidents (funded via taxes of varying kinds). Everybody is covered.

So, if ACC say I have to wear a helmet, I do :D. If I fall off, they cover the medical costs.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We have the National Health Service in the UK which covers treatment for any accident, so no need for a separate agency. Helmet policy here and in the rest of the EU is "please use" but no compulsion. The countries with the highest proportion of cycling use helmets the least, hardly ever used in the Netherlands where almost everyone cycles, 27% helmet usage in the UK where few cycle.

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand
We have the National Health Service in the UK which covers treatment for any accident, so no need for a separate agency. Helmet policy here and in the rest of the EU is "please use" but no compulsion. The countries with the highest proportion of cycling use helmets the least, hardly ever used in the Netherlands where almost everyone cycles, 27% helmet usage in the UK where few cycle.
Ahh, very good - I wondered. ACC manages the costs they pay out, and also do accident prevention campaigns.

It also means we can't sue via Civil Court for damages, as ACC covers the costs.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Our accident prevention campaigns in the UK are run by central government and in a few cases by the largest local authorities, notably the Greater London Council with cycling safety campaigns at times.

The central government activity in this is currently minimal, due to shutting down their public information films program as a result of cutbacks since the 2007/8 economic crisis. The police also run specific subject face-to-face road safety campaigns by stopping offending road users to give guidance or sometimes penalties.

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
At last.
A woman in our building had a very nasty accident last year and ended up in ICU for a week after going over her handlebars and hitting her head without a helmet but still wouldn't wear one when she came back.
About a month ago I saw her showing another woman some new injuries down her side plus a nasty scraping on her forehead and I asked her if she was going to wear a helmet but she said no.
Today she arrived with a helmet on so I don't know if she'd had a 3rd incident.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Perhaps A & E bought her one in desperation! It seems she certainly needs one, scraping her head twice in under a year.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
She seems like a youngster on my estate. He started at 16 with a really severe compound left femur fracture which was plated, followed at 17 with right tibia and fibula fractures also plating, and at 19 his right ulna and radius followed. All were powered two wheeler accidents but miraculously never a head injury, despite the first two off-road without a helmet.

At over 20 now I ask how his left arm is every time I meet him, seeing that was the only unaffected limb!

Reactions: Alan Quay

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Noticed this a bit late, was skiing when M.S had his accident. There was less snow than normal so more rocks showing even some on piste as well as off.

Love skiing and have been doing it for a long time. Do not wear helmet perhaps I should but counter argument is people with helmets might take more risks thinking I have a helmet on so I will be okay. You could argue even more risks are taken when you wear a camera. Feel more freedom without one, pretty sure when I learned as a kid we did not even wear one then, children wearing helmets is a more recent thing. There was increase in helmet wearing by skiers however this does not appear to have had a significant affect on the number of deaths/injuries - (article I read a while back cant recall which one).

On the bike side there was evidence to show cars left a bigger gap if people were not wearing a helmet compared to wearing a helmet. Although no one could argue if you have a crash your chances are better with a helmet.

Reactions: lectureral

Advertisers