Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
We're really enjoying our new Focus Planet 2 e-Bikes. They came with Schwalbe Energizer Active Plus P-Guard tyres and so far we haven't suffered any flats however I'm thinking about upgrading to maybe their Marathon Plus Tour. They seem like a better all round tyre good for asphalt, light gravel and dirt riding. Nothing too crazy as far off road though. The protection against flats is very appealing.

What are your thoughts on this tyre or are there others I should consider?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I've used those tyres before and I can highly recommend them. Top notch puncture protection!

I now use the Marathon GT 365, which are better suited to my riding conditions. So maybe take a look at those too.

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
I've used those tyres before and I can highly recommend them. Top notch puncture protection!

I now use the Marathon GT 365, which are better suited to my riding conditions. So maybe take a look at those too.
Thanks, I haven't seen these before. They might even be a better fit.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks, I haven't seen these before. They might even be a better fit.
Either tyre is great for your type of riding, but I personally found the GT 365's to be a bit grippier on the greasy surfaces. Neither tyre will provide ultimate grip in very muddy conditions, but they do cope admirably.

You'll notice a bigger difference between the two as the weather gets colder. The GT 365's are much better in the cold. Again, my personal opinion only!

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
Either tyre is great for your type of riding, but I personally found the GT 365's to be a bit grippier on the greasy surfaces. Neither tyre will provide ultimate grip in very muddy conditions, but they do cope admirably.

You'll notice a bigger difference between the two as the weather gets colder. The GT 365's are much better in the cold. Again, my personal opinion only!
Good to know, winter is just around the corner. Thanks again.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We're really enjoying our new Focus Planet 2 e-Bikes. They came with Schwalbe Energizer Active Plus P-Guard tyres and so far we haven't suffered any flats however I'm thinking about upgrading to maybe their Marathon Plus Tour. They seem like a better all round tyre good for asphalt, light gravel and dirt riding. Nothing too crazy as far off road though. The protection against flats is very appealing.

What are your thoughts on this tyre or are there others I should consider?
We have had Marathon Plus for years on several bikes, and more recently Marathon Plus Tour. Excellent.

BUT: not the smoothest ride, and not best grip (especially on sideways sloping muddy paths)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Must say the Marathon Plus are amazing - 1,264 miles so far and not one puncture. Fortunately I'm strictly a on-road cyclist, grip seems fine for that... on the rare occasion I've had to use forest paths, it's:

Reactions: Point Reyes

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Stick with the Energisers, great tyre, I've done over 6k miles on them over 4 years, only 2 punctures in that time.Roll well,and great grip in wet and cold conditions unlike the marathon pluses

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
We have had Marathon Plus for years on several bikes, and more recently Marathon Plus Tour. Excellent.

BUT: not the smoothest ride, and not best grip (especially on sideways sloping muddy paths)
We might be OK as we rarely get off into the mud. Thanks.

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
Stick with the Energisers, great tyre, I've done over 6k miles on them over 4 years, only 2 punctures in that time.Roll well,and great grip in wet and cold conditions unlike the marathon pluses
Wow, that's real good to hear. Maybe we'll just stay with them until we can't. Thanks.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I'm using the Marathon almotion evo* on the mtb shopper, which I havent had a single problem with is the 3 or so years those have been fitted, and the marathon plus city mtb on the Emtb, and although I've only done a couple of hundred miles on them thus far, theres been no problems either, and I dont expect there to be.

* The only thing I have found is an odd front end slip, but I'm putting this down to the frame, which is a cove stiffee and quite slack with a 150mm fork, so you really need to be weight forward for that type of frame. It was never designed with slicks in mind.

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
I'm using the Marathon almotion evo* on the mtb shopper, which I havent had a single problem with is the 3 or so years those have been fitted, and the marathon plus city mtb on the Emtb, and although I've only done a couple of hundred miles on them thus far, theres been no problems either, and I dont expect there to be.

* The only thing I have found is an odd front end slip, but I'm putting this down to the frame, which is a cove stiffee and quite slack with a 150mm fork, so you really need to be weight forward for that type of frame. It was never designed with slicks in mind.
Looks interesting although I'm not sure they're available in our size, 47-622.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Thats 700c in old money isnt it ?. Im pretty sure you can get either tyre in 700 :)

Reactions: Point Reyes

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020