Scientist reinvent the wheel

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Scientists unveil 'bicycle innovation' in Copenhagen

A team of scientists from an American university say they have reinvented the bicycle wheel.

The Copenhagen Wheel is a hub containing motor and batteries which can be fitted to the rear
wheel of almost any bike, providing a boost to the cyclist whenever needed, say developers.

It has been unveiled at the UN Climate Summit by the team from the Massachusetts Institute
of Technology.

BBC News - Scientists unveil 'bicycle innovation' in Copenhagen

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes we'd seen this previously Ajax. It's a bit of a joke though, just a hub motor and battery combined really, and we've had that many times before. In fact it was back inthe 1940s when the first fully integral powered wheel appeared, the Cyclemaster which had a 25 cc petrol engine, transmission aned fuel tank all with the hub of the wheel.

This so called new invention is far too low powered to be any use anyway and it will certainly disappear without a trace shortly, like all the other "miracle" stuff that's announced daily in the USA.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
I like discovering new R&D projects, but too much electronics all at once means a lot can go wrong :p I'm also concerned about the "jack of all trades master of none" syndrome...

The BionX hub motor looks more like a real-world appliance, with a tested and proven design, just the right balance between complexity and actual usefulness.

Cheers, Dan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not true. Not true!

Magazine > Image >

Okay, maybe :)
Nice link prState. :)

In fact I doubt the USA is any worse than many countries where spurious "inventions" are concerned, it's the accompanying ridiculous hype and excessive publicity that so often makes it seem so bad.

Truly good inventions only need to make an appearance for them to be enthusiastically adopted by the public.

Advertisers