Second Battery ordered.....

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Had a cracking day out yesterday from the house and only crossed one bit of tarmac... The tubeless and lower pressures are amazingly better, as are the 160mm cranks- only one pedal strike and that was my bad timing...I made it to the peak of the last hill and the battery literally died which meant a descent to the house.... The distance and elevation aren't bad and not once into sport/turbo, but the plans I have for the summer once the snow is gone from the peaks mean that one battery won't be enough to get on the Cairngorm plateau and go very far...or do some lower level "E-bikepacking"... So I've taken the plunge and ordered a second battery...suppose it means that any day I want from the house I can go out on one battery while the other is charging, pop back for lunch and a swap and do the same again so potentially keep out as long as I want!!! Screenshot (56).png

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Hi,

You don't say what bike/motor you have so will be interesting to compare.

I have managed 52Km and 851 Meters, with 1 bar left on the battery with a Bosch Performance CX and the 500w battery.

There are lots of variables so don't get too caught up in the figures, but a second battery will come in very handy.

I know some on here carry the second battery in their backpack, and just go out all day.

• Offensive Language
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I did 38km and 540m elevation this morning on my Cube with the Bosch Activeline Plus motor and the 500W/hr battery was still showing all 5 bars when I got home...it all depends on riding style and terrain.

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
It's a KTM Macina Lycan 271 full suspension with CX and 500wh battery...lots of variables including I'm 97kg kitted up and realistically could shed 15kg to lessen the load lugged...it was also only 2c at home when I set off. I'm OK with that range/height from the battery, but felt I could have stayed out another few hours so a second battery makes sense. If I have a days biking based from the house I can charge while out and swap as one runs down, get a coffee and bite to eat too!

Reactions: Ballynoes

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
I did 38km and 540m elevation this morning on my Cube with the Bosch Activeline Plus motor and the 500W/hr battery was still showing all 5 bars when I got home...it all depends on riding style and terrain.
Really?? Did you have it on?!! I was largely on eco/tour but spinning and using gearing to keep the "power bar" at half-ish... steep climbs are far more demanding than long shallow gradients obviously. ..

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I had it on for any noticeable inclines, Eco or Tour with an occasional blast of Turbo, but it's zero resist so usually keep it off on flat cycle routes with decent surfaces unless I'm tired or in a hurry.

I caught the train back from the Peak District, so if I'd coasted back down into Stockport instead I dare say I could have posted even more impressive economy figures as it's mostly downhill or flat on the way back...

Last edited:
Reactions: Barrio Barranco

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
3 weeks ago I did 43km and 450m, but it was a route I used to do on my old hardtail and you don't really notice the ascending as opposed to a definite "oh god check this hill out"!! That day it had just dropped to 2 bars when I got in and some of it I'd done with it turned off.
The 3 main(2x technical singletrack /1 long fireroad)hills and 3 lesser ones(steeper arguably) I did yesterday are most definitely of the in your face type-
I'm doing 30-45 miles a week on the road bike to try and boost my input into all this...

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
So very true Eddy. I just messed about today with other half, only did 10 miles and lost 1 bar on the Canyon (Steps E8000), then there's the 30 miler I did and also only lost 1 bar, just depends on what you're doing. Although I've also bought a second battery for it as will be bike-packing at some point this year. Mr Dom will be buying his as soon as there are some in stock.
The Haibike will do a lot further with the Yamaha motor, but again it all depends on how and what you are doing.
No matter what, we are all getting out and about and enjoying, but a second battery will make it so much easier ;)

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Yeah, the second battery opens up so many permutations as far as I can see- including shorter length yet steeper rides where time(or daylight?) may be limited and you don't need to conserve through Eco use just to get home. I think the consensus is that the Bosch is one of the "worst" for resistance when in Off mode- but as I've yet to ride another eMTB I've nothing to compare it to? As ever the best thing I can do is shed some weight...(the weight of the new battery is about 2.6kg - I've already lost 3kg in the last few weeks, and carrying that extra 2.6kg weight is welcome for what it will do for me! )
When the clocks change and it gets less like winter (usually 3 seasons here- spring/autumn/winter) it will be superb in the evenings...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i posted some battery back packs in another thread can only find 3 tho ;)

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Thanks SW, Mr Dom will be having one for his 50th birthday this year Ergon BA 3 E protect from the kids. I've just bought his battery for his birthday, I think £499 is not too bad a pressie, I'll naturally give him the 1p to make it up to the £500 ;):):)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Jesus is that for real !!! o_O:oops::oops:
As for the back pack looking at the Vaude eBracket 28 for me

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer