Wanted Seeking ebike/trike to rent

jmsteven

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 9, 2019
I am planning a cycling tour in the UK and Ireland this summer.

My attempts to bring my etrike from Canada have run afoul of customs and other regulations.

I am looking for an electric bike or trike, preferably recumbent, to rent for June and July, possibly into August.

I welcome any offers or recommendations, thank you.

iRider

Pedelecer
May 2, 2019
Wigan
Looking at a few websites, Ebike rental seems to be 40 to 45 gbp per day.. so you could be looking at £2k + for 2 to 3 months. You would be better off buying on arrival and selling on departure.

Reactions: artspeck

jmsteven

Mar 9, 2019
Yes, thanks, I found much the same, and I’ve considered buying a unit from a shop for my tour with an agreement that the shop could re-sell it for me after. But I have bought a high-end e-trike recently, and another large cash expense for me now would take my savings down to a level I’m not comfortable with. I looked into bringing my recumbent e-trike with me, from Canada, but customs and carrier regulations are a challenge to that plan, and my departure date is soon approaching. I posted my request thinking that a reader here who has more than one e-bike or trike, as I do, might be interested in a private agreement by the week or month.
If I don’t find something before I leave Canada on June 8, I’ll visit bike shops in Ireland and the UK and ask.
I attach here stock photos of the models that I have at home, a Vision LWB USS, and a Catrike 559. Great rides, both. Very different but each with its own pleasures and advantages.

Attachments

jmsteven

Mar 9, 2019
The battery is not the issue. With many systems, including mine, the batteries, controller and motor comprise an integrated system. The components must be compatible. as Information is exchanged between them during operation. Trying long-distance to find components compatible with the motor would be an exercise for which I don't have time just now.
My drive system includes batteries which are allowed on flights. The issue is that the trike cannot be taken down to a size acceptable on passenger aircraft. Surface shipping would cost more than £1200.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
What is your experience or knowledge of that company. please? After your suggestion, I've had some email correspondence with the company, and I have questions about their credibility.
They're used a lot by the overland motorcycling community to get their bikes to different continents by air - probably electric bikes is a new thing for them - what was your problem with them?