Semi recumbent trainer

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
It arrived today Bremshey Cardio Comfort Control Recumbent Exercise Bike

Very heavy(60Kg) so removed all the bits out of the box on the drive and carried them in:D

You might have read the other thread where I mentioned it but just in case.

When I go out on the E bike it`s great fun, fresh air and a break from being stuck indoors.

But!! when I ride with the power on for a comfortable ride it`s magic( as you all know) now I`ve been told by rehab that I need to get my heart beat rate up to around 100 bpm for 30 minutes a day and when I turn the power off on the E bike to get to that rate it`s hard on my worn knees and after using a recumbent trainer at rehab and stepping off with no ill effects to my knees I decided to get a trainer for home.
Well , this new trainer is just magic and I can choose to set a heart rate and the magnetic drag adjusts itself to keep me at that rate which is very handy. Obviously there are plenty of other programmes so no problems.

Final word, anyone considering an indoor trainer should get to a sport shop and at least try one of these, they are very good for cardiac exercise without knocking your joints around and against a normal trainer that I once had they are much more user friendly.

Just thought I`d share.

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
It arrived today Bremshey Cardio Comfort Control Recumbent Exercise Bike

Very heavy(60Kg) so removed all the bits out of the box on the drive and carried them in:D

You might have read the other thread where I mentioned it but just in case.

When I go out on the E bike it`s great fun, fresh air and a break from being stuck indoors.

But!! when I ride with the power on for a comfortable ride it`s magic( as you all know) now I`ve been told by rehab that I need to get my heart beat rate up to around 100 bpm for 30 minutes a day and when I turn the power off on the E bike to get to that rate it`s hard on my worn knees and after using a recumbent trainer at rehab and stepping off with no ill effects to my knees I decided to get a trainer for home.
Well , this new trainer is just magic and I can choose to set a heart rate and the magnetic drag adjusts itself to keep me at that rate which is very handy. Obviously there are plenty of other programmes so no problems.

Final word, anyone considering an indoor trainer should get to a sport shop and at least try one of these, they are very good for cardiac exercise without knocking your joints around and against a normal trainer that I once had they are much more user friendly.

Just thought I`d share.
How does the cadence of the trainer compare with that of actually cycling.
I'm wondering if you may have benefitted from not fitting the larger chainrings on your ebike's so as to keep the cadence up and get a better workout?
The higher cadence should lessen pressure on your knee's and elevate your breathing and heart rate, or am I missing something?

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
How does the cadence of the trainer compare with that of actually cycling.
I'm wondering if you may have benefitted from not fitting the larger chainrings on your ebike's so as to keep the cadence up and get a better workout?
The higher cadence should lessen pressure on your knee's and elevate your breathing and heart rate, or am I missing something?
Yeh! you are missing the point, I can get as low a gear as need be on the road with the 42 -34 .

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
First day of training the old heart:eek: two sessions (15 mins morning and 15 mins evening) absolutely a breeze to get into my heart beat suggested rate and maintain it. In between, a ride down to the coast (16 mile round trip with a few bottom gear hills) now at a pace for enjoyment rather than training. I am trying out a new pair of trainers today, made by Fila but instead of the usual trainer sole that my others have, these have a flattish sole and my feet don`t tend to try to lean outwards(when walking and riding)

Tell me if it`s a fluke or not but tonight I can walk without the pain like bone on bone:confused: that I`ve been having. Will see how it goes for a few days and I`m not holding my breath but I`ve found in life that nothing ventured then nothing gained. I find it hard to believe how many people just suffer a certain thing in life without trying to improve things.

The family next door have been suffering a severe picture break up on the TV using freeview to the point where they avoid watching it. I was in their the other day and commented on it and pointed out the already installed sat dish from the previous owners bolted onto the back house wall and the cable was actually through the wall into their lounge just sitting their. £30 later and a cheap freesat box and they now have a perfect picture on the new Panasonic TV that they bought to try and cure the problem.(We didn`t even need to alter the position of the dish cos it was still bang on signal.)

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
Yeh! you are missing the point, I can get as low a gear as need be on the road with the 42 -34 .

Yes, I know you can get as low a gear as you need but the tendancy is to set a comfortable pace without pedalling like the clappers.
Putting the question a different way, Isn't the ebike gear range as infinitely adjustable as the trainer, you can set the cadence by using the gears to achieve the same result as the trainer?
I only ask because not having experienced either, I'm suspicious that the trainer like any home exercise machine is to easy to walk away from when you've had enough or not in the mood unlike an ebike trip where once you've made the initial effort to go out, your commited because you have to get home again.