Service agreements with electric bike retailers

moon

Pedelecer
May 24, 2008
Hi I wonder if anyone could advise me on the level of after sales service I can expect from an electric bike retailer.

Having purchased my bike a couple of months ago I have found that the brake cables constantly need tightening, I just spoke to the retailer and asked if he could look into this as on occasion the brakes have failed to stop me, he said he could but would have to charge me for any work done.
I told him that I thought it could be looked into for free as part of an after sales service agreement but he said that as I had tightened the brake cables myself and could have tightened them too much he was not liable for any damage this may have caused etc.

Is this a normal level of after sales service? I have never purchased a bike where the brake cables are always coming loose and would have thought this was a fault rather than a chargeable service.

Also if I do tighten the brakes too much what damage could this cause?

Thanks

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
I told him that I thought it could be looked into for free as part of an after sales service agreement but he said that as I had tightened the brake cables myself and could have tightened them too much he was not liable for any damage this may have caused etc.
Well, if you have caused damage then obviously the supplier is not liable, but I don't think that it is right to assume that just because you have done some maintenance that you have caused damage. The supplier would have to show that this was the likely cause of any problem as opposed to a design or manufacturing flaw.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Wisper brakes

Hi Moon,

I think you might be interested in a thread by "ElephantsGerald" in the Wisper bikes clinic in the Pedelec Forums list. This appears to be a recognized problem with Wisper brakes.

A solution is provide in the reply by Wisper bikes. Sorry I can't link you straight there, haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Regards

Bob

Andy Day

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2008
Routine maintenance

Oh dear!

Of course the brake cables are not coming loose! The brake blocks are wearing because the higher speed and weight of an electric bike imposes higher loads.

I'm sorry Moon, but welcome to the world of people who need to know one end of a spanner from another! Of course you don't need to take the bike back to a dealer each time the brakes need adjusting. What next, get them to inflate the tyres and charge the battery? It sounds to me as if your dealer has categorised you as someone with no mechanical skills!

I don't think you can expect to use an electric bike in the same way you would a modern car, just put petrol in and check the tyres once a year and leave the rest to a dealer service. It will need constant fiddling with to give its best performance.

With regard to the brakes, adjust the cables until you get a comfortable amount of movement at the handlebar lever. Check by spinning the wheel that the brake blocks are not rubbing on the rim. If they rub one side it may be the brake needs centralising. There should be a screw on each brake arm which adjusts the force of the springs that push the brake arms away from the rim. Fiddle with these, small adjustments at a time until the brakes don't drag or bind.Keep an eye on the brake blocks. (The bits that rub on the rim), if they get a bit thin replace them.

Of course it's reasonable for the dealer to charge for work, also for him to try to protect himself from incompetant home mechanics. It's up to you to prove yourself able to do basic maintenance!

moon

Pedelecer
May 24, 2008
Thanks for the responses, I found the thread in the Wisper bikes clinic forum :)

Yes I guess as electric bikes are still relatively new and we are kind of beta testing them its right to expect to have to adjust them to maintain a high level of performance, it would just be nice if the retailers offered some support in this too(this does not include David and Doug from Wisper bikes as they are superb) as I had expected to get a free after sales service and was told that this is not the case and I will be charged.

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Electric bikes are heavier?

"Of course the brake cables are not coming loose! The brake blocks are wearing because the higher speed and weight of an electric bike imposes higher loads."

I find this total response to Moon offensive and not really to the point. Without knowing how often the bike is used , how far it travels, and how heavy Moon is, such assumptions can not be made. I am 17 stone and so my combined weight with the lightest bike in the world would be far heavy than an eleven stone person on a modern electric bike. Also I am overtaken by cyclists travelling faster than me on normal bikes. I use my bike every day but only rarely adjust the brakes. As others have said on this forum, this is less to do with Moon's possible incompetence than a known problem.

Conal

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Brakes

Hi Moon

I totally disagree with Andy, in the first few weeks of owning any vehicle be it a Ferrari, a push bike or an ox cart the supplier has a duty to look after their customer explaining, and if needed re-explaining how the vehicle works and can be adjusted. Indeed the supplier should also offer to tighten spokes, make sure the gears are aligned properly and look after any other niggles. All free of charge.

If you don't have any luck with ETS I will come to your house and adjust them for you personaly.

Best regards David

Last edited:

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
Hi Moon

I totally disagree with Andy, in the first few weeks of owning any vehicle be it a Ferrari, a push bike or an ox cart the supplier has a duty to look after their customer explaining, and if needed re-explaining how the vehicle works and can be adjusted. Indeed the supplier should also offer to tighten spokes, make sure the gears are aligned properly and look after any other niggles. All free of charge.

If you don't have any luck with ETS I will come to your house and adjust them for you personaly.

Best regards David
Steady on David, you be getting a call from the Queen at this rate! :D

But seriously, it is nice to know that someone out there understands the meaning of good customer service. Your posts always make me smile :) :)

Andy Day

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2008
Caused offence? None meant!

Of course I didn't mean to cause offence Conal, and apologies to Moon if I did.

I'm glad, Conal, your experience of brake wear is different from mine. I've been running ebikes for 4 years now, and have lost count of the number of times I've had to both adjust brakes and replace blocks. I'd say adjust every 200 miles and replace every 500 or so. I'm no porker either, weighing in at 13 st. However I do live in a hilly district and often touch 35mph downhill, so brake wear is high and frequent adjustment essential to maintain optimal performance.

But. It is my experience that you are best on your own in practical terms when it comes to routine maintainance, but I guess that reflects the fact I live 10 miles from my dealer and don't drive. If the bike is busted or unrideable I can't get it to the dealer so I have to fix it myself! I haven't asked and the dealer hasn't offered, but a 20 mile round trip to adjust the brakes seems a bit daft!

There is also the matter of trust. I'm sure most dealers are competant enough, but as an ex long circuit kart racer I'd rather be responsible for my own spannering, I've had no safety issues so far.

It would be interesting to hear from a number of dealers to discover the normal response with regard to routine maintenance as opposed to major servicing which is a different issue. Perhaps a poll is in order?