Shimano Alfine service

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
My friend dropped her Dahon Cadenza folding MTB off with me to do the front wheel bearing, I've cleaned them up and attempted to save the hub, hopefully it'll be okay.

Next the headstock was almost solid, the lower race was worn out, new headstock now fitted.

Next the bottom bracket had play, a nice new Tange bottom bracket took care of that.

Next was the rear Alfine hub which also had play, I had to buy a deeper Shimano tool to get the disc off and yet more slim spanners to undo the cone. When it came apart the bearings looked just like they were running in copaslip, I think I've just about caught it in time. The drive side wheel-bearing needs two special tools to release and refit, although the refit one isn't particularly special. Hardly anyone who has done a video of servicing one seems to bother with it, or for that matter even mention it. I'll attempt to ease some fresh grease in there, a quick online search failed to come up with a supplier of the tool.

I won't be doing the oil-bath on the hub internals like nearly all the videos show because the oil leaks out and covers the rear disc. There isn't a great deal of grease in there as standard, I'm going to put some self-levelling grease in and see how it goes.

No photos sorry, I wish I'd got some of the rusty copaslip grease now. Nothing is ever as straightforward as the owner thinks or would have you believe.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As we used to say in the army, "Never volunteer".

It usually ends in tears. :(

Reactions: Artstu

Advertisers