Shimano XT rear mech snapped

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
No, there are no numbers at all, but those you have found look identical :), Ill order one, and maybe a spare. Thanks for finding it. With th added bonus that the seller is in the same town as myself !!!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
A money back guarantee, courtesy of soundwave :)
I'll send the seller a photo of mine to be sure. Nice find, much appreciated

Reactions: soundwave

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Now I have the part number Cube 10149 I've found another local seller who does them in blue to match the blue colouring on my bike, but a little more expensive

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
lbs is going to **** out big time then :p

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Had my own little nightmare last night.

My chain broke last night on my way home with about 5 miles of my commute to go.

Last time a chain broke on my commute I was going to work up a steep hill and stopped straight away and then found my chain easily just behind me on the road.

I was also on a rear hub electric bike with a throttle and managed to complete my journey using the throttle.

This time it happened on my crank drive Yamaha Haibike on the flat and I coasted to a halt without fully realizing what had happened over about 40 metres. There had been a lot of rain last night and lots of standing water/puddles at the side of the road. I walked back expecting to find my chain but began to believe it was in one of the puddles completely obscured.

I remembered a friend who lived in the village and pushed my bike to their house. I just wanted to leave my bike somewhere secure and get a taxi home but they would hear nothing of that and gave me a lift home and I then drove back in my estate car and got my bike.

Anyway this morning I drove back to the village, parked the car and looked again for my chain. There it was lying across the pavement probably really close to where I had eventually pulled up. So I can now put it back on and get a bit more use out of it. The chain and rear cassette have so far covered 1074 miles together.

Luckily when it came off it did no damage!

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
DIY repair completed.
Cassette change didn't go as planned. As careful as I was to slide out the plastic packaging cylinder in the new one, I slipped and the cogs & spacers went everywhere. Exactly what I didn't want to happen!!
New KMC E11 ebike chain fitted
New 17T front chain ring fitted (original was 15T)
New derailleur hanger fitted (thanks to soundwave for finding one for me).
Rear derailleur fitted to the hanger, however it was then clear that the derailleur was twisted, with the chain scraping on it, so I bent it back with some pliers.
All now seems to be working fine, thankfully.
If I have any problems with the derailleur I'll order a new one, but at £65 I'm hoping to not have to.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
lol my bike tech thought ur rear mech was toast tbh but id get it replaced asap otherwise you might have that fail and destroy everything again.

better safe than sorry ;)

Reactions: gw8izr

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I know what you mean, but it's cost me the best part of £100 already :mad:

Shimano SLX CS-M7000 11-46T £50
KC E11 chain £30
Front chainring £10

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well you dont want my group set then if that lot blows up with whats on it it will be a £428 fkn nightmare :eek:

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Thankfully, a few weeks after doing the repair the bike is riding really well again. I had to twist the rear derailleur back into shape slightly with some pliers as the chain was catching on it. Initially it was fuming a couple of gears when changing down from 5th to 4th gear, but a half turn of the barrel on the cable rectified that.

I've never replaced a cassette before, but having done so I found it quite simple to do.

Having spent a small fortune on the new ebike specific chain, I find myself looking after it much more than my previous chains by wiping it down and lubing after every ride. If it lasts longer than previous chains I won't know if its because its a stronger chain, or I've looked after it better?

Last edited:
Reactions: soundwave

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Do you have a chain checker?
Probably worth getting one if you don't.
I have that exact same tools but I never find chain checkers to be accurate, It showed 0.25% wear on the brand new chain before I'd even ridden the bike.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I have that exact same tools but I never find chain checkers to be accurate, It showed 0.25% wear on the brand new chain before I'd even ridden the bike.

:p

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
That's normal. I'm sure it mentions it somewhere in the instructions!

The thing to keep an eye on is the relative change in the reading as the chain ages.

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Snapped my rear mech today. Looks like a link broke in the chain and dragged the rear mech around my cassette. Sounded horrible.

Looking at the spec of my Cube Reaction Race it says its fitted with a Shimano XT RD-M8000-DGS ShadowPlus 11 speed rear derailleur

Searching online for a replacement, there seem to be a few different types of XT M8000 mechs, some with long cage, some with medium cage, some say Deore....

Whats the best way of knowing which one I need, and which cage length for my 11-46T cassette? Is mine a long cage?

View attachment 33645

TobyAnscombe

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2012
Epping Forest, Essex
I've literally just replaced my drivetrain on a Cube Acid 400.
Medium cage M8000 XT 11 Speed from Chain Reaction, corresponding 11-42t cassette and shifter. I also bought the 116 link chain but that was waaaay too short so have a 126 link chain arriving today. Will post up how it fits but I am running a 46t front ring...

Related Articles

Advertisers