Short but hilly commute

nezumi

Just Joined
Jul 10, 2020
I have been reading the previous responses to posters and have learned loads so would really appreciate thoughts on my situation.

I'm a soon to be 50 female. Currently slightly unfit but want that to change (still pretty active, surf etc). I'd like to buy a bike to use for a short commute (approx 5 miles in each direction), but the commute is hilly. I put it into a route mapper and apparently its 170m elevation on the way there (it's basically a slow steady climb). The journey home will be easier!

I'd also like to use it to pop round to my son's house but he lives at the bottom of one of the steepest hills I have seen. Cycling back up may not be realistic. I'm in Devon so everywhere I end up cycling will have hills.

Budget is an issue which is where I am struggling. I would prefer the price to be closer to 1K rather than 2K but don't want to spend 1k and find I have a bike which is too much like hard work to use.

I am also toying with the idea of just getting a push bike and forcing myself to get fitter but I really don't want to arrive at work purple.

Any ideas or thoughts really welcomed. The bike will be very much used to get from A to B rather than as a leisure activity itself. I think I'd prefer a bike where I'm seated fairly upright but am open to other suggestions.

So many places have sold out and am happy to wait for the right bike.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh Santana3: strong motor, Dutch style upright riding position, ideal for 5ft2-5ft11, up to 18st.

nezumi

Just Joined
Jul 10, 2020
Thanks Woosh - I had a look at that after seeing a previous recommendation on here. Is it okay with hills (vs the Santana CD for example)?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the Santana CD is better on hills but...

1. you have to change to the low gear (1,2 or 3) to climb hills. The Santana3 lets you climb hills in any gear - you can leave it on gear 6 or 7 forever.
2. the Santana CD has lower weight limit, 100kgs (15st), Santana3 115kgs (18st).

If you don't mind changing gears, then the Santana CD is better.