Should the headset need adjusting on a new bike

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
I received a new Cube Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 625 today. I‘ve never bought a new bike in a box to assemble myself before so wasn’t sure what to expect.

The front wheel was separate and the handlebars had to be fitted even though all the cables were connected. It was all pretty straight forward and everything seemed to go together well. However, I noticed if I lift and drop the front of the bike there is a rattling sound that I’m pretty sure is coming from the headset. Is this normal on a new bike? I can understand it wearing over time but I would have thought a new bike would have been tightened or are they not fully tightened on new, boxed bikes?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you not pushed the stem down far enough and imo used the top cap thinking that what holds it on.

remove the to cap bolt and loosed the 2 stem bolts and make Shure it is pushed down all the way then tighten the 2 stem bolts and then put the top cap bolt back it and that should solve the problem.

Reactions: Woosh

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
The headset was already assembled, all I had to do was attach the handlebars. I just thought it would already have been tightened properly.

I’ll do what you suggest, thanks.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they are meant to do a pre bike check b4 posting it but most dont bother these days as just box shifters

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
The headset was already assembled, all I had to do was attach the handlebars. I just thought it would already have been tightened properly.
Its quite common to need to 'tweak' the tension on the headset.
I would make sure you check out some youtube videos on what to look for because you do want SOME slack in there.
And make sure you're not hearing the clattering of mudguards when you do the drop test :)

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Thanks, I’m sure it’s the headset as it’s more of a clunk than a rattle. I’m just surprised it needs adjusting on a brand new bike.

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Just tightened the headset following a couple of YouTube videos and the knocking sound is gone. It was actually very loose and took a full turn before it started to tighten up.

Thanks for the advice.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Having sorted out the head set issue you are now primed to carry out all your own bike repairs, learning how to will save 100's of £££'s in the future.