Help! Show me your storage sheds/bike shelters

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Smoke and heat alarms plus a safe exit route protects you from fire. A house is just a house.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
"London Fire Brigade reported eight fires caused by e-bikes and e-scooters in 2019. This rose to 24 in 2020 and 59 by December 2021. "

"Based on the trajectory of sales data, it is expected that electric bike sales may triple in the next three years. 160,000 were imported in 2020, "

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Hello folks

I'm taking the plunge and building a dedicated shed for my new Whoosh converted MTB.

It will be in the form of a tunnel made of cladding with a metal gate at the end for weather protection but also ventilation. I have a small, dead fridge which I'm going to use as a thoroughly waterproof insulated box for storing the battery when the weather's really cold.

There isn't a design per se as yet, I'm still planning. I have another property with an Asgard shed and it's OK but they're not as good as people think they are. This is for my home rather than a tenant so I want to build something with materials I have here - I've much higher standards for tenants than my own house!

Could any of you show me your bike sheds?
A DIY job using old floor joists, OSB board and a rubber coated roof.21 Two days to screw down the 2 sides.JPG23.JPG27.JPG32 Mid September. All finished at last.JPG33 And filling up nicely.JPG

Reactions: guerney

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
A very nice job! I like the reuse of old doors.
This rose to 24 in 2020 and 59 by December 2021. "
While I understand your thinking, there is no harm in being pragmatic about these things. Besides, I really want a bike shed. It will mean less faffing of a morning on my way to work.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Someone I know had his MV Augusta stolen from outside his house. He was popping in for a moment, didn't lock it... insurance wouldn't pay. He's buying a shipping container to store the next one, but those can be easy to break into; difficult to burn down.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
So, fed up with having my beloved in a very cold, very damp shed (which is full of junk anyway).

It now has a safe, dry home about a mile from me.

I might just put my non-electric, Giant Hybrid in there as well, if I can squeeze it in, perhaps take the front wheels off and twist the handlebars 90 degrees.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
Are they this much of a fire risk?

I thought it was only when cheap Chinese batteries are charging?