Sizing

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Been away from this forum and cycling for a while. Got to mention a friend of mine mid 50's, bought an ebike from local bike store in Kent and to my horror in a passing conversation discovered he'd been sold a bike far to big for him.
I said nothing, but thought ebike stores should have improved by now. As an ex keen road biker with a good local club i realized the importance of correct sizing, how it impacts on your comfort/ body, riding ability and safety. I paid money more than once to get sizing for a bike and learned a lot from it.

Really disappointing that a local new store would sell the wrong sized bike just to get a stock sale.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Clearly not as not ridden a bike for years. He bowed to their experience, lol.

I had the same problem with ebikeshop trying to sell me a frame 2" smaller than what i need because he had it in stock, really.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
You know what you want size and geometry wise as s long term cyclist
But someone new too it wants advice and trustworthy advice at that
Being Just out for a sale is bang out of order

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
1 person bought a bike from ebike shop and was the wrong size not even ridden but taken out the box and then returned and then was only offers 65% of the total paid as it was now a used bike as thats there terms and conditions.

tho he paid on a cc so did get a full refund but it took months but if you look on ebay he sells used bikes like this with only 10% off rrp.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
1 person bought a bike from ebike shop and was the wrong size not even ridden but taken out the box and then returned and then was only offers 65% of the total paid as it was now a used bike as thats there terms and conditions.

tho he paid on a cc so did get a full refund but it took months but if you look on ebay he sells used bikes like this with only 10% off rrp.
Robbing bastard

I was going to buy a bike off him a few years ago but he was to pushy and insistent also I don’t agree with his “it’s exclusive to our customers “ routine surely if your selling parts on the internet shop they should be available to all , obviously he is making so much money he can pick and choose his customers
his parts are bloody exspensive too in the majority of cases so his customers are welcome to them as far as I’m concerned :)

Last edited:

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Surely these comments are not relevant as in the original post his friend had gone into a local bike store and bought the e-bike in person, so forgive me if I sound a bit harsh but what type of person does not go for a test ride or sit on the bike when buying it?

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Surely these comments are not relevant as in the original post his friend had gone into a local bike store and bought the e-bike in person, so forgive me if I sound a bit harsh but what type of person does not go for a test ride or sit on the bike when buying it?
Me
All my bikes either built my self as frames only or complete bikes have been bought sight unseen and fit me perfect
I do my home work and know exactly what specs and geometry I want for application

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I totally agree with you, if your buying something take responsibility for your actions don't whine after the event....

Reactions: Fat Rat

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
Not just ebikes - it's pretty common for shops to push the bikes they have in stock rather than get the right size in.

My wife liked a bike in the LBS, but it was too small for her. The salesman put a lot of effort in trying to convince her that the size was just right and then made difficulties about getting a bigger one in for her to try (from another shop in the same local chain).
They lost that sale and it worked out well for us as the next shop we tried had a last-year's model of the same bike, the right size and at a big discount.

Reactions: Fat Rat