Sleeping On a Plane

PedalingGator

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 30, 2021
With the annual summer holiday rolling up again in the next few months, the wife is looking to book a few days in the sun. To be honest I'd love a few days in the sun but just can't stand flying. It's hard to know if thw whole ordeal is worth it anymore. I just get so stressed out sitting on a big chuck of metal thousands of feet up in the air.

Then I turn around and I see half the passengers on the thing are sound asleep! How do people do it. How is it even possible to feel so relaxed on a plane that you drift off. I suspect some of them have taken something to send them off. But not everyone. If I could just fall asleep and forget aabout the whole experience until we touch down at out destination it would be great. Do any of you Pedelecs have tips on how to unwind and fall asleep on a plane?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I too question whether the ordeal of flying somewhere is worth it, to the extent that since retiring 32 years ago I haven't flown anywhere.

But for me the ordeal was always the aggro before and after. The trip to the airport, checking in, the long delay after checking in before the flight etc. After the flight the luggage claim and delay, the trip back home and then tired and feeling like I need a holiday again!

The actual flight itself no bother, except for how boring it is to sit in a cramped seat in an alloy tube for hours on end.

So I've no tip on how to fall asleep during the flight, but viewing all the events before the take off as the real aggravation that it is might help you to see the flight after take-off as a welcome relief, a chance to relax with nothing that has to be done.

Reactions: PedalingGator

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
With the annual summer holiday rolling up again in the next few months, the wife is looking to book a few days in the sun. To be honest I'd love a few days in the sun but just can't stand flying. It's hard to know if thw whole ordeal is worth it anymore. I just get so stressed out sitting on a big chuck of metal thousands of feet up in the air.

Then I turn around and I see half the passengers on the thing are sound asleep! How do people do it. How is it even possible to feel so relaxed on a plane that you drift off. I suspect some of them have taken something to send them off. But not everyone. If I could just fall asleep and forget aabout the whole experience until we touch down at out destination it would be great. Do any of you Pedelecs have tips on how to unwind and fall asleep on a plane?
Take Brexit thread with you.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you wont even get close to the sun b4 you are vaporized but wait a bit and global warming will start again called summer :cool:

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
1) Noise cancelling headphones 2) soft balloon in a bag 3) close your eyes and 'pedal' your new recumbent. Then you've only your environmental conscience to deal with... 8-(

PedalingGator

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 30, 2021
1) Noise cancelling headphones 2) soft balloon in a bag 3) close your eyes and 'pedal' your new recumbent. Then you've only your environmental conscience to deal with... 8-(
What's all this about a soft balloon? What do you do with that? Rest your head on it?

Ive been reading this guide (sleeping on a plane) and the best tips I can gather are use a plane pillow, a neck pillow, and some noise cancelling headphones.

However, I think my GP will be getting a visit and a request for some pills to knowck me out for a few hours. Hard to beat something that actually does what it says on the tin.

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
Half fill the balloon-in-a-bag or inflatable cushion and rest your feet on it, then as you pedal down with one foot the other rises, repeat. Movement and visualising another activity are supposed to help to unwind, and maybe ward off DVT. You can tie a tight waist in the cushion between the feet to make it less springy.

Sponge ear plugs for motorcycling are cheap and very effective but noise cancelling headphones somehow give me a more tranquil effect despite letting more sound through. And yes a neck pillow's unmissable.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
For me self-hypnosis works, with practice it's easier done than said.

Advertisers