Slight creak Bosch CX on Cube

yycwrangler

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 30, 2019
greetings from Canada

Just got my cube reaction back from the shop (2018 first time in for major tuneup)..Now I have the creaking while peddling but not while coasting. Do the shop mess around with cranks/engine mounts etc when doing the first year tuneup on a cube..Only started when I got it back. Will also check seatpost

Also has anyone gotten the latest firmware update..Sure feels like the bike is dragging..Flat ground to work, 21km each way..Used EMTB..Battery was dead by the time I got home..Seemed to drain quicker than normal.

Any feedback would be great..Glad I found some fellow riders with the Bosch cx

Cheers
Al
Calgary

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Also has anyone gotten the latest firmware update..Sure feels like the bike is dragging
Interesting. I wasn't aware of the update. My 2018 Cube Reaction Race went into the bike shop for the creaking to be looked at. Since getting it back I have noticed the drag, but was scratching my head as to why. I kept checking my rear tyre thinking it must be flat. What does the update supposed to do?

And I still have the creak!!!

yycwrangler

Mar 30, 2019
now that being said, this is US site and for you folks in the UK, not sure if they would be the same. Although I can't see why not

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if it aint broke dont try to fix it my bike has never had any updates and still going ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the lbs wants £45 to plug in a usb cable and press enter so fook that.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
when the app comes out you will be able to update the kiox display via Mobil/wifi.

SAN

Feb 3, 2019
I'm so glad I found this thread - my Trek with Bosch Performance CX (4,000+ miles/1 year) has been creaking for a while and I was unable to pin it down.

Found this thread, read it, took the cover off, tightened the two 13mm nuts and three T20 screws and...

the creaking has gone! Thank You All!

Out of interest, does anyone know the torque these should be tightened to?
The two screws on the adapter plate with Torx T30 with 8-10 Nm. The 3 nuts on the motor screws SW13 to 25-30 Nm.
Cover, Torx T20 1 Nm.

Reactions: zakventis

alatalo

Just Joined
May 15, 2019
Greetings from Finland!

My Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 500 '18 got The Creak and it's been driving me nuts for months. Tried all the previous tricks; checked the seat and seat post, cranks, pedals and motor bolts; cleaned and greased and applied anti seize etc. To no avail.

Finally today I got back to debugging once again; removed the motors' plastic casing from the left hand side of the bike, attached the crank arm back and went for a test run without the casing. The Creak was gone! Absolutely zero extra noise.

Next up: Applying felt tape or lubricant between the plastic casing parts as it seems they're rubbing against each other and making the noise.

Last edited:

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
So if the creaking was left unchecked, would there be any serious consequences such as parts wearing or failing ?

Mine needs to go back to the bike shop again for this to be repaired as I can't take the cover off myself as its under warranty. But I can't get it to the bike shop for a few weeks as I need it for getting to work. I don't want to make the problem worse by continuing to ride it with the creak.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can take the cover off as it will not void any warranty lol the only thing that will void the warranty is opening the motor as dealers cant even do that.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
you can take the cover off as it will not void any warranty lol the only thing that will void the warranty is opening the motor as dealers cant even do that.
I didn't realise that, I thought it voided it.

Still, whilst its under warranty I may as well get the bike shop to do it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i would just diy as you will have more time to try different things to stop it creaking than the lbs and they could charge for this.

just try tighten the screws first but one of the clips could have come undone or not in all the way.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I'd have to buy the tools. But i guess they are useful to have anyway.

Simps

Just Joined
Mar 29, 2020
Just joined to say thank you for this post. I have had my seatpost on and off loads of times greasing and cleaning it including the rails thinking it was that....
Mine started doing it at the 500 mile mark and the last 4 rides have been horrible due to the creaking noise on the left downstroke.
Found this thread last night and today took the crank arm off (lucky I already had the tool) and the covers off, 2 off the 3 allen nuts were a tad loose and the 2 T30's were also loose. I have just tightened them up for now and will see if that works tomorrow on my daily allowed exercise. (already been out today so can't go again)
Will report back but I hope that's sorted it. If not I will take the bolts out and grease them.
Was a good chance to clean the mud out from under the covers anyway.
Cheers. :)

EDIT*** Just to confirm this is fixed now. So nice riding without that horrible noise. So it was the bolts all along. All the bolts were not even quarter of a turn loose, just needed nipping up. I don't have a torque wrench so just nipped them up.
Thanks again everyone, you've saved my sanity. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: MJS_1066

Related Articles

Advertisers