Small, not hilly 3 mile commute for <£1500

stevemhd

Just Joined
Sep 2, 2019
I've got a small 3 mile commute each way and I regularly pop into town on my lunch break (2 miles or so).

I'm leaning towards the Gtech because of it's simplicity and the lack of hills on my commute. Any other suggestions from anyone? I can push up to £1500, but would prefer to stick around £1000.

edit: I'm 6'4" too, so the one size fits all on the Gtech worries me!

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

dongle it and it will **** all over the gtech costs a bit more but will have way better resale value and the batt will last years.

plus haibike dont make hoovers pmsl ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
costs even more but has a 58cm frame size and 29inc wheels.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Maybe the guy selling this bike in the classifieds section here will cut you a good deal. :)

lutin

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2019
I've got a small 3 mile commute each way and I regularly pop into town on my lunch break (2 miles or so).

I'm leaning towards the Gtech because of it's simplicity and the lack of hills on my commute. Any other suggestions from anyone? I can push up to £1500, but would prefer to stick around £1000.

edit: I'm 6'4" too, so the one size fits all on the Gtech worries me!

I have the Gtech escent, so if you need any info let me know. I got it for 765 in halfords (they did a £150 off promo a couple of months back, plus you get 10% off everything if you're a british cycling member - joining is free if you/someone you know is a HSBC customer)

It's a definitely a big bike. Certainly as big as I've ever ridden. I am 6 foot.

I really love the bike. It gets me two round trips commutes (about 12 miles in total) and I let the bike do ALL the work. It's a cadence sensor, so you put in very, very little effort in order to get up to max speed). It's the nearest thing I can get to being magically teleported to work.

The cadence sensor is both a plus and a minus. With a torque sensor, you may end up actually putting in more effort, BUT I think torque vs cadence for mountain biking, it's torque all the way.

The hydraulic brakes are great, as are the gears. Suspension and seat post are nice to haves. It looks really, really nice in flesh IMO.

So the major weaknesses are: the battery range, and the cadence sensor (though you may consider that an advantage - I do)

I should caveat all this by saying that this is my very first e-bike and indeed my first bike of any kind for years.

Let me know if I can give you any other info.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You didn't say which Gtech you were thinking of.

Even the basic Gtechs should do what you say you want very well. It's weaknesses of small range and no gears don't matter for that. However, if you do get the bug and start feeling like longer or hillier rides you might regret its limitations. Also, the Gtech is quite expensive for what it is.

Something from the likes of Woosh (http://wooshbikes.co.uk/) will give you a more versatile bike, probably for a slightly lower price.

Reactions: lutin