So whats the fork of choice then ?

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I'm looking at replacing a rigid fork with a simple suss one for the cheaper ebike, butr options are a bit thin on the ground.

No1 choice would be the rockshox Paragon gold RL but it seems those are all in Germany, and getting a hold of one UK side is difficult and they seem for the most part to be unavailable.

Outwith that we have RST.

RST, now theres a name from the past :oops: who'd have thunk RST was still going and incredibly still making suss forks, although they seem consigned to making cheaper suss forks, which is a bit sad as they did some interesting things in the early 90's, including the mozo pro :cool: which was ahead of the day. But it is what it is I suppose, and at least theyre still going.
In RST theres a few. The Volant, the Viva, the Neon, and possibly a couple of others.

Price wise the RST look to be available in reduced prices, so thats a possible, just have to work out which is best and go with that as the RS seems to be a not possible to source easily option.
Plus like the RS, many of the RST are coated stanchions, which means no rust will form if you neglect it a bit

Suntour - #See dustbin.

Anyone got or using the RS paragon ? Only really available in the EU, but I would happily pay the higher price, the wait time and added custom charges if it was getting a good review.

Outside of that it will probably be an RST. Ultra basic, and i dont expect it to be very responsive, but at least its not going to rust. And its easier to get a 50mm travel, the RS do 50, but only seems to be 65mm about or available.

So what are you riding ? is it one of the above. Like to hear how you're getting on with it.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I was constrained by the 'straight 1-1/8 steerer' malaise, so a secondhand Rockshox Reba 100mm awaits installation to replace my dustbin quality 63mm originals.

The slightly changed head tube angle is still lower than many mountain bikes, so not expecting it to be a problem.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
coil spring forks are crap broke every one i ever had esp the lock out part.

i have a 2019 fox 36 160mm i got for 300 quid and use a boost kit for my non boost front wheel

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i sold my old forks for 150 so worth a look esp if u can service it urself on ebay ect

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
I
I'm looking at replacing a rigid fork with a simple suss one for the cheaper ebike, butr options are a bit thin on the ground.

No1 choice would be the rockshox Paragon gold RL but it seems those are all in Germany, and getting a hold of one UK side is difficult and they seem for the most part to be unavailable.

Outwith that we have RST.

RST, now theres a name from the past :oops: who'd have thunk RST was still going and incredibly still making suss forks, although they seem consigned to making cheaper suss forks, which is a bit sad as they did some interesting things in the early 90's, including the mozo pro :cool: which was ahead of the day. But it is what it is I suppose, and at least theyre still going.
In RST theres a few. The Volant, the Viva, the Neon, and possibly a couple of others.

Price wise the RST look to be available in reduced prices, so thats a possible, just have to work out which is best and go with that as the RS seems to be a not possible to source easily option.
Plus like the RS, many of the RST are coated stanchions, which means no rust will form if you neglect it a bit

Suntour - #See dustbin.

Anyone got or using the RS paragon ? Only really available in the EU, but I would happily pay the higher price, the wait time and added custom charges if it was getting a good review.

Outside of that it will probably be an RST. Ultra basic, and i dont expect it to be very responsive, but at least its not going to rust. And its easier to get a 50mm travel, the RS do 50, but only seems to be 65mm about or available.

So what are you riding ? is it one of the above. Like to hear how you're getting on with it.
I am just wondering Andy have you taken into account the extra height that will be added to the front of your bike ( and bottom bracket) due to the extra fork length (2 inches or more depending on travel) ?

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
coil spring forks are crap broke every one i ever had esp the lock out part.

i have a 2019 fox 36 160mm i got for 300 quid and use a boost kit for my non boost front wheel
Long fork I've got, these are short travel designed for hybrid/gravel type bikes.
So I need a short 50mm one which is quite ironic really given thanks to the CRC/wiggle sell off I've got
1x New Fox 36 rhythm grip damper 29er 160mm
1x New RS Lyrik select 29er 160mm
1x New RS Pike Select+ 27.5" 150mm
1x New Fox 36 Factory grip2 27.5" 160mm
And I've another 160mm fox 36 in use as well as a 150mm RS Revelation

And im looking at a £60 hybrid fork with all the sophistication of something out of the 1980's lol theres some irony there for sure.

Best hybrid fork would be an RS Rudy ultimate. Dedicated 700c fork with either 30mm or 40mm travel. But they cost about £800(currently £612 at Winstanleys) and is total overkill for the type of bike im looking to fit the fork to.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Best hybrid fork would be an RS Rudy ultimate
(I know absolutely nothing about suspension forks)

"New other" Rockshox Rudy Ultimate Race Day 30mm 700c Gravel Fork - Black £445.00

Used, make best offer (you get three tries)

Rockshox Rudy Ultimate XPLR Gravel Suspension Fork, 30mm travel £300.00 or Best Offer

Rockshox Rudy Ultimate XPLR Gravel Suspension Fork, 30mm travel £250.00

Cheaper Paragons from Germany:

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
I've had a few bargains from Bankrupt Bike Store in the past (Ebay store, direct, I think also Amazon)

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I've had a few bargains from Bankrupt Bike Store in the past
Likewise, in fact i think one of the basic forks im looking at is on there.

I dont really opt for used forks. Most of the time they'l be fine, but all will require a service, so need to buy oils, maybe bushings and overall it might prove you're adding 200 to the price.

Biketart one is interesting except i need a 230mm steerer, so thats out, which is a shame. It is a cheap bike, but i could have been tempted by that one. 198mm steerer will possibly be a medium frame. Im xl Finding the right steerer is always the key.
Cheaper Paragons from Germany:
Yeah, thats the rub. I'd pay a bit extra if one was uk based, but import/customs taxes will certainly add to the price, probably bring it to about £220-250

But thanks for making the effort to go search and post some up :)

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yeah, thats the rub. I'd pay a bit extra if one was uk based, but import/customs taxes will certainly add to the price, probably bring it to about £220-250
Might be worth clarifying with the German sellers if import charges are included? The full quoted price when ordering from China via ebay, is all I've ever paid - mind you Chinese sellers have mysterious ways of avoiding VAT and import duty etc. Some couriers like FedEx and UPS provide customs and VAT etc. paid delivery options. I'd certainly expect buyers stung by extra charges angrily venting about it in seller feedback. But yep, it's a risk.

• Informative
Reactions: AndyBike