Solved my problem

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
Well we took my bike to a shop this afternoon, the first one was called Red Kite and the guy who spoke to us was very arrogant and rude, I don't think they like electric bikes, anyway he promptley told me the bike was to big for me and to take it back to where it came from. This is not an option I saved hard to buy it and got it at a much reduced price, £350 instead of £700 because it has some paint damage from transit which doesn't bother me, but I know I couldn't get another new bike for the same amount. They never had any suggestions so we took it to an older shop called Hawk cycles on the A45 into birmingham, the two older men were so nice and helpfull and all it took was for the seat to be moved forward, simples, I even bought some new pedals and they gave me £5 off them, it was so nice to talk to men who use their iniative and they even suggest I try the plastic cap which comes on a new electric plug over the prongs to cover my electrical pins where the battery sits when the bikes on the back of the car without the battery. Anyway I now have a bike that doesn't hurt my wrists and pedals I don't stick to and I know which shop I'll go to in the future sadly they don't sell electric bikes but will still try to help.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Good to know all's well now Ann, when bad service is encountered it always pays to walk away and try elsewhere.

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
I'm sure if I'd had an exspensive mountain bike I'd have been welcome but my bike was almost laughed at, I'm short and fat, putting it bluntly, the two older men understood my problem and tried to be so helpfull and didn't make me feel I was in the wrong place.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
There's two independent bike shops in my nearest town. My previously preferred shop fell out of favour after I asked my wife to nip in and pick something up (can't remember what). They basically did this......

Needless to say, I don't use them anymore. Morons.

I'm glad you have found a good bike shop!

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
I love it, you can't beat the old comedy there's not many current ones I like or even know

Reactions: flecc

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Halfords come in for some stick at times but the one in Ashbourne gave us a first class service.

Lynn's new bike had a wireless speedo thing that failed to work. It was ok when fitted & tested but would not have when on the Tissington Trail, also the bikes battery lights were showing a flat battery but it was charged.

The ladsin the shop were really interested in resolving the problem, turns out everything was ok when the battery was turned off. Replaced the speedo with a wired version and the charge lights behaved.

The two interfered with each other (the electric bits, not the workers) perhaps obvious to many members here, but I just wanted to give the Ashbourne Halfords a thumbs up for decent customer service.
And they didn't provide the bike.

Reactions: jonathan75

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
My two old guys admitted they didn't know much about electrics which is fine, its those that don't but pretend they do are the ones that annoy me, the next thing is to try to fit a throttle as I prefer that to pedal assist. I feel more in control with a throttle especially at slower speeds but thats something we've never attempted so any information on that would be more than welcome. Do you have to get one for the make of bike or are they all more or less the same?.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I'm sure if I'd had an exspensive mountain bike I'd have been welcome but my bike was almost laughed at, I'm short and fat, putting it bluntly, the two older men understood my problem and tried to be so helpfull and didn't make me feel I was in the wrong place.

You probably were in the wrong place. If they were a right on bike shop they probably weren’t interested in you at all; and being young and smug and knowing no better, they just couldn’t be bothered to make an effort to be polite.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
.... the next thing is to try to fit a throttle as I prefer that to pedal assist. I feel more in control with a throttle especially at slower speeds but thats something we've never attempted so any information on that would be more than welcome. Do you have to get one for the make of bike or are they all more or less the same?.
If you can tell us what the bike is, someone will be able help. Most likely a generic one will do the job, but it would help if you posted some pictures of the controller, so we can check that the connector is available.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
+1 for Halfords.
When I had difficulty in removing the bottom bracket on my bike, I swallowed my pride and took it into my local Halfords.
After explaining to the chap that I couldn't unscrew the securing cap on one side, he disappeared out back and returned with one monster of a bottom bracket tool.
One minute later, the bottom bracket was removed and the surprising thing was that he didn't even want paying for the job.
A shake of his hand, a big thanks and I was on my way :)

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
The controller will do it, assuming that the connecting wires have not been removed. Have a good look at the connectors coming out of the controller. You are looking for a 3 wire connector which will be spare.

If you have that, then any old throttle should do it. I like a thumb throttle, but if you search Ebay you will get loads of choices. Twist, Half Twist, Thumb, all in left or right hand options. Example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-E-Bike-Electric-Scooter-Thumb-Throttle-Throttle-UK-/141660186600?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20fb9ae7e8

edit: Having looked closer at the pics of your bike, I see that it has twist grip gears on the right. It would make things easier if you went for a left hand throttle.

The up side of a left throttle is that you can continue to apply power while signalling to turn right. The down side is that if you are a motorcyclist it can feel weird at first, but you will get used to it.

Last edited:

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
I think I'll end up doing without, hubby isn't very good with electrics and says he only has a blue and black connector free, its very hard when there's no where you can take it for someone to actually look at it, my son probably could but they live in Ipswich, I don't have the money to put it into a shop, if I could find one, never mind I'll get used to not having one. I don't think I could use one on the other side another thing I hadn't thought of :( I'd love to be bale to walk into a shop and find one thats just right but that will never happen unless I win the lottery.

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
My son said that we need to be sure that the spare wire is for a throttle, please can anyone tell us how to find this out, thanks

Advertisers