Help! Spares for Elise Folding ebike (bikes4u) 2004

Jackho

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 8, 2021
My throttle failed and am trying to find a replacement. It is also possible the (think it called the Controller) might be faulty as there is a burning smell around that area. Am reading up as a beginner and learning as i go so please excuse my ignorance.
I purchased a replacement throttle but only had 5 wires and am now waiting for another with 6 wires. Think it is marked 36v but my understanding is my system is 24v but it will be ok.
Also if the controller is caput can anyone identify what spare to purchase. All the connections on this bike seem to be Julet .
I couldn't find an exact match but will try and attach a picture of the original.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jacko41184

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The six wires are three for the throttle. one for the battery indicators and two for the switch. You can use any throttle you want as long as you join the three wires in the correct sequence. Likewise, you can use any switch you want. That gives you the all options for the type of throttle you want to fit. it can be with or without a switch or with or without indicators. Obviously if it doesn't have a switch, you have to install a separate one somewhere, the same with the battery indicator lights. you'd need a volmeter or something.

You can use a 36v throttle, but the battery indicator lights will always show that the battery is empty when it isn't.

Jackho

Mar 8, 2021
The six wires are three for the throttle. one for the battery indicators and two for the switch. You can use any throttle you want as long as you join the three wires in the correct sequence. Likewise, you can use any switch you want. That gives you the all options for the type of throttle you want to fit. it can be with or without a switch or with or without indicators. Obviously if it doesn't have a switch, you have to install a separate one somewhere, the same with the battery indicator lights. you'd need a volmeter or something.

You can use a 36v throttle, but the battery indicator lights will always show that the battery is empty when it isn't.
Just a thank you for your very informative reply. (Date correction bike 2014) . Any thoughts on a replacement controller?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Before spending more money, it would be better to find out what's wrong with it. How did it go wrong? What were the circumstances and results?

Jackho

Mar 8, 2021
Yes replaced throttle but no volts . Battery good 42v at source. Wiring back to controller ok. Looks like I need replacement controller, It is a 36v 12amp Model DT260 TB034.
Any assistance to find replacement would be appreciated.
looks like lots available but the connections would need alteration.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes replaced throttle but no volts . Battery good 42v at source. Wiring back to controller ok. Looks like I need replacement controller, It is a 36v 12amp Model DT260 TB034.
Any assistance to find replacement would be appreciated.
looks like lots available but the connections would need alteration.
How did it go wrong? What were the circumstances and results?
You didn't answer the questions.

Jackho

Mar 8, 2021
Thank you for your interest. I am assuming the throttle cables shorted out between 5v and the think 24v switch connection.
The battety supply fuse to the CPU ok.
(Ony a few random mV around the connections)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That's not what I mean. Were you riding the bike when it happened? Did you crash it? Did the cat creep into your garage and chew the cable when it was sat there overnight? Do you have a vicious neighbour that came in with a 100v battery and zapped it out of spite?

How and when did you first notice the fault.

Bikes or throttles don't randomly fail for no reason. Something happened to it. What was that?

Jackho

Mar 8, 2021
That's not what I mean. Were you riding the bike when it happened? Did you crash it? Did the cat creep into your garage and chew the cable when it was sat there overnight? Do you have a vicious neighbour that came in with a 100v battery and zapped it out of spite?

How and when did you first notice the fault.

Bikes or throttles don't randomly fail for no reason. Something happened to it. What was that?
Best guess wear and tear. Was failing randomally and fed WD40 until eventually failed completely. Attempted dismantling as per web but couldnt release throttle twist grip and ended up breaking apart.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Best guess wear and tear. Was failing randomally and fed WD40 until eventually failed completely. Attempted dismantling as per web but couldnt release throttle twist grip and ended up breaking apart.
There's nothing to wear out in a throttle. It works by magnetism.